Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HF 2194 handguns and hunting

Fishbonker

Life Member
This is the bill that would allow the concealed carry of handguns while bow hunting. The

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ga=86&ba=hf2194

Section 1. Section 481A.48, Code 2016, is amended by adding the following new subsection:
NEW SUBSECTION. 6. A person who legally possesses a handgun may carry that handgun while hunting during any hunting season so long as the person is otherwise legally qualified to carry the handgun. However, a person shall not use a handgun to hunt unless the person has a valid hunting license with an unfilled tag that permits use of that handgun to hunt during the season in which the handgun is being used.

Sec. 2. Section 805.8B, subsection 3, paragraph h, subparagraph (5), Code 2016, is amended to read as follows:
(5) PossessionProhibited use of a prohibitedhandgun, pistol, or revolver while hunting deer, the scheduled fine is one hundred dollars.

EXPLANATION
The inclusion of this explanation does not constitute agreement with
the explanation’s substance by the members of the general assembly.
This bill allows a hunter to carry a handgun while hunting.
The bill adds new Code section 481A.48(6) which provides that a person who legally possesses a handgun may carry that handgun while hunting during any hunting season so long as the person is otherwise legally qualified to carry a handgun. However, a person shall not use a handgun to hunt unless the person has a valid hunting license with an unfilled tag that permits the use of that handgun to hunt during the season in which the handgun is being used. A violation of the bill’s provisions is punishable with a scheduled fine of $100.

I agree, I would support this one. You just never know what you will run into on public ground. I remember shining one night a group of men carrying a bunch of supplies into the woods I used to hunt. Called the sheriff and they were cooking meth in the woods. Would hate to run into these guys while hunting. You just never know. Some people will most likely argue it may increase poaching but poachers are going to poach regardless. I have also shot some small conceal guns and I would be much more accurate with my bow.

Agree with Liv. I'd like to see some legislation following this if it passes that takes anybody's carry permit away if they use their handgun to harvest an animal illegally.

This is a good thing. Exactly for the reason that Liv mentioned. Have had similar encounters.

To somewhat deter poaching I would think they could simply say in the bill that any handgun caliber currently allowed for deer hunting may not be carried while bow hunting.

This would stop people from bringing a 454 Casull with a 6 inch barrel and scope with them :)...legally of course.

I know if I tried to shoot a deer at 20-30 yards with my S&W bodyguard the deer would probably laugh at me. Most CCW guns are 10 Yards and in to be repeatably accurate. Even then it can be tough :)

Top Bottom