Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

hit the shoulder now what?

Nontypcl1

I stalked up on a group of does and my target buck from last year only to make a poor shot. I heard the loud crack of the shoulder blade breaking when I let the arrow fly.

It was a rushed shot in marginal conditions. A lot of wind, blowing snow and small brush. I spotted him freshening a scrape and making a rub right after coming across 2 very large rubs that appeared only minutes old.

I lost sight of the buck soon after spotting him so I laid out some very aggressive grunting with the buck roar. He then appeared and was hauling a$$ in my direction. By the time I got my release on the loop and drawn back he was in what little shooting lane I had which was borderline down wind of me.

I Let the arrow fly and heard that telltale crack of bone breaking. He stumbled then ran into a fence and went down again then got up like and stood like nothing happend. He then started gimping really bad and struggled to get back across the fence before I lost sight.

Waited 2.5 hours and went poking around only because I have to work tommorrow but to no avail. Found my arrow, 12" broke off inside of him. Next opportunity to look is Monday.

Any thoughts on what my chances of finding him are?

I shot one in the shoulder in mid-october and tracked him for about for well over a mile with no luck! Crappy feeling...

I did however find really good blood sign most of the way! But not a buck to be found....

I'd say very slim if you can't get out til monday. Definately won't be a blood trail by then. Look in thixk brush and/or by water.
Good luck

If you got 12 inches of arrow in that deer in the area you say, that deer is dead. That more than enough to do the job. I would get out there and start looking as soon as you can. If there is no blood trail. Its time to start thinking like a dying deer and look everywhere.

Now is when you really need a good friend to go find your deer for you. Anyone here from your area that might be able to help?
Good luck!

It really is going to depend on where in that shoulder you hit. With 12" of penetration if it was high and back enough he's dead. Like said earlier get some good buddies on the trail.

Thanks for the input fellas. It's killn me here at work just thinking about all the maybe's and what if's about the shot and where that buck went.

I'm headn out lookn sunday morning with 3 buddies before I have to head to work. I should get about 3.5 hours of searching ina. They only bright side to this is that I think I've narrowed it down to 2-3 places he most likely went.

I'll post the pic when I find him

If it had been me work would have waited! But then I'm pretty much useless and they have been putting up with my crap for over 27 years so they are use to my crap anyway!! Good Luck!!!

Top Bottom