Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hornady Black powder sabots

Shredder

Life Member
Has anyone seen these new Lock n Load Speed Sabots by hornady? What is next, a muzzleloader with a casing and primer attached? I am all for the new inlines and such but they keep getting closer to rifle status every year. Check these out and post your opinion on the matter
Hornady web page

sure looks crazy to me, thats for sure. knowing me, i would only have 2 pellets on the stick, and the extra pellet length would be enough to fit in the nipple and plug the hole so it cant fire
frown.gif
I dont see me buying any of those in the near future, they probably cost about 10 bucks for ten of them and you would only gain maybe, at the most 30 seconds of reloading if you have to do it quick
smile.gif

i carry a pistol, so i don't worry too much about a quick reload

i don't think those new sabots are gonna find their way into my gearbox

I always thought that the holes in the pellets allowed the spark to get further into the charge, thus a quicker and more reliable burn. I may be wrong on this but if I'm right stuffing a plastic rod in there will sure stop the spark travel.

I am with LIV on this one. I don't shoot 150 grains and don't plan too. I would stick to my speed loading methods and probably save a few pennies rather then buying this.

I think the dark powder on the back end of the pellet is supposed to be easier to ignite. I don't really know why they put the holes in them. Seems to work pretty good for this sabot though.

I have shot them both with 2 pellets and 3. Much handier than a speed loader. For 2 pellets just trim the tail with a nail clippers or a knife. I could find no problem with ignition or loss of velocity over the MMP sabot. They load as easy or easier than anything I have tried. Out of my Omega, they shoot under 1 1/2" @ 100. They will be in my pocket this season.

I'm the kinda guy that doesn't like change.......I like to stick with what works and my good ol regular hornaday sabots treat me just fine. As stated before I really don't see the blinding speed you'd get from reloading these things, but to each his own. Shredder your exactly right when you say that it is getting more and more like shooting a rifle.

Yeah I see what you mean about how they are getting closer and closer to being a rifle with a casing. I love the new innovations and I shoot inlines and love them. What has got my focus now is getting cleaner burning powder. Thats what I crave for improvement for my shooting. What do you guys shoot for powder? Triple 7 or Clean Shot? I thought about going to Triple 7 this year.

yes Ogz, you're right about the whole in the center where it is traditionally been for better burn when the pellets came out. If you look at the new Knight with the Power Stem, it puts the flame at the top of the powder charge and makes it burn backwards making a faster and more thorough burn they say. I don't see how this innovation from Hornady would make it fly better and hit harder. Its just an attachment of the sabot to the powder. Thats all itsn't it guys? If I was concerned about making a harder hitting shot then I would use the pellets with the hole or even use loose Triple Seven with the 209 primer. I already shoot Winchester and Hornady in my front stuffer and love them but dont see these going in my gun. Interesting idea but just seems like its only for convience and speed for the second shot like the name says. Maybe for a second shot I would see them being used but not when I have plenty of time for my custom first and hopefully only shot. Interesting concept though. Maybe you're right Shredder.....plastic casing next with a built in primer? Hahaha

I have visited with the boys at Hornady. They tested it as well as had ignition and burn tested outside. The impact is negligible, when using a 209 primer. It loads easier because of superior materials that are more tolerant of temperate. A lot of sabots fail when temperatures get down below freezing, or if your gun gets hot on a hot summer afternoon. Theirs tests better at both ends. It shoots better, both because of the superior materials and their excellent SST bullet. You are right the tail is stickily for convenience. You would be surprised on a heads up test of theirs against anyone I know. There is a good article on them over on http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com

Top Bottom