Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Horse Nettle Question

Buckfever1613

i recently have started seeing horse nettle growing in my clover plot and was curious as to if there was anything i could use against this without killing the clover. thanks for any help.

[ QUOTE ]
i recently have started seeing horse nettle growing in my clover plot and was curious as to if there was anything i could use against this without killing the clover. thanks for any help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally horse nettle would controlled with 2-4D which you cannot apply to clover.

You can use 2-4DB Butyrac® 200 but the label does not list horse nettle as being controlled.

I would certainly give it a try though unless someone knows of a better option.

There are certain times that are better for controlling HN as mentioned in this link: Controlling weeds

Note: that link is not about controlling weeds in clover...I added it merely because it mentions timing of spraying horse nettle.

Will roundup (or a knock-off) kill horse nettle?? I have a huge problem with HN and lamb's ear. I sprayed with Big n' Tuff about a week ago and the plants don't exactly look 'doomed' yet. It's making me nervous. Man, I must be bored out of my mind to keep such close tabs on dying weeds. ha

I haven't tried Butyrac because the label scares me, rain within 7 to 10 days or temps above 90 will cause unacceptable crop injury?

A good mowing gets rid of most broadleaf weeds (or at least "enough" of them that it's still a clover plot)

[ QUOTE ]
Will roundup (or a knock-off) kill horse nettle?? I have a huge problem with HN and lamb's ear. I sprayed with Big n' Tuff about a week ago and the plants don't exactly look 'doomed' yet. It's making me nervous. Man, I must be bored out of my mind to keep such close tabs on dying weeds. ha

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say that it would be pretty unusual to find a plant that couldn't be killed with the proper dosage of Roundup (and surfacant).

Some plants and brush require a higher dose of course but if the horse nettle is not in a clover patch...Roundup ought to do the trick.

Top Bottom