Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How Many Members Game Cam?

G

How many of you use game cameras? Do you use more than one? Do you think it helps your hunting or is it more for fun?Do you think in your opinion it spooks deer?I'll start,I use three cams and it helps determine which way deer travel on trails and what time. It also shows what caliber of deer are in your hunting areas.I thimk it can move bucks off a given trail but they only move a short distance in the woods.I think the flash is looked on like lightening by deer.Out of hundreds of pics I only have one forkhorn it clearly spooked.I have many multiple pics of big bucks taken sometimes over a period of time in an area.How about everyone else?

woods

I just got a roll of film developed yesterday. It had 4 pictures of a 130" eight pointer. The first picture was taken at 5:00 a.m. The last picture was taken at 7:30 a.m. The buck obviously was not spooked by the camera or the flash. He was working a scrape and a licking branch during the other two pictures.

I am taking my wife to that very stand this afternoon to see if she can take him with her muzzleloader. The pictures were very cool because I could see the tree that my stand is in not 10 yards away. My daughter turned eight Friday and we had eight girls over for a sleep over last night so this is her first chance to get out, it should be a beautiful evening.

Good luck to everyone,

T.D.

I sure hope she gets him! wouldn't that be the icing on the cake.Pics of him and then pics of him taken.Sounds like he isn't put off by the cam at all.

woods

I'm working on putting one together now.
i'm just getting all the parts rounded up now,got the last ones in mail Sat. (skylight filters].
Going to my friends place Mon. and start putting it together. Can't wait!!!!
I like all the helpful tips i pick up here in the forum.

Woodseye that's some nice pic's you have posted.Them bucks look like they might even grow up and get big horns!!!!!! shooters for sure. Even in Iowa!!
grin.gif

Were geting a cold snap here this next week so it's about time to start hunting. I've seen the buck i would like 3 times, but it would be neat to have some pics with a trail cam too.
Hopefully i get to see him up close and personal

flatlander

I have one deer cam - Vman put it together for me. It works great, and I can't wait to see what is on the next roll. I set it up today between river bottom and an unpicked cornfield. There are about 25-30 rubs in this area, and one buck must have a sticker point, because there are some deep gouges in many of the trees. Also, I watched a doe get her picture taken, and she definitely didn't like it. She noticed the camera, and walked behind it three times before stepping in front of it. When the flash went off, she bolted 10 yards straight back. Eventually, she worked back around behind it. I have had many multiple pictures of the same deer, both with bucks and does. Unless they are nervous to start with, it doesn't appear that it alarms them.

Well I'm in. I have four. Two digitals and two 35mm. What else are we going to do in the off season, chores for the wife, I don't think so....

Hey VMan,I get 8 months to camera batteries and 4 months to PIR,also get about 30 feet flash range with sealed reflective flash box.I've heard that digitals get very short battery life and have equally short flash ranges,is that true? Do they compare to my experience with my 35mm or worse?They sound good for pic development but wouldn't want to loose to much flash or bat life.

woods

I CURRENTLY OWN 3 CAMERAS AND THE HUNTIN PARTNER HAS TWO MORE.WE USE THEM FROM TURKEY SEASON THROUGH COON HUNTING SEASON----A LOT CAN DISAPPEAR AT NIGHT WITH COON HUNTERS.....WE USE THEM FOR ALL FOREMENTIONED REASONS. MOSTLY IT ALLOWS MY 7 YEAR OLD SON TO '' HUNT'' WITH ME...RUNNING CAMERAS, HE IS LEARNING ABOUT TRAILS,SCRAPES, RUBS AND FOOD SOURCES JUST LIKE HIS OLD MAN.I NEVER COLLECTED BASEBALL CARDS AS A KID---MY SON STARTED TO ,,BUT NOW HE HAS A STACK OF ANIMAL PHOTOS WE TOOK ALONG SIDE THE CARDS..4 ROLLS TO GO IN THIS AM---CANT WAIT.. MADE ANOTHER SYNTHETIC MOCK SCRAPE SATURDAY MIGHT----21 PICTURES SUNDAY AT NOON.. M350 OUT

I use a HomeBrew cam I built. Developed a roll of film last week and nothing but does and sporto's.

Picked the camera up tonight to get another roll developed tomorrow. I'll post anything spectacular...

I do it for fun. My first roll ever caught turkey, coons and deer, last spring.

I have the parts from radio shack to build two more, not sure when I'll get to it.

You can count me in. I do it mostly for fun. I use a homebrew a friend and I made up. Got some really neat pictures.

Woods,
Sorry it took sooo long. Lost my hard drive at home and it took some time to get everything back up. I'm running my digitals on 4 d-cell batts. AS far as time i don't really know for sure. Im always too chicken to let them go until they are dead. I get at least a month out of them howerer. The flash thing is a problem. Fifteen feet is about right. But with some computer manulipation you can see the things you want "the rack". The antlers usually refelect the flash enought to get a good idea of how big he is. E-mail me at [email protected] and i will send you an example. I would loose way to much detail if i posted it. The pir batt usually last around 2 months, with the rs pir..
Good luck hunting
Vman

I am also in on the trail cameras. The Vman special I have used all summer has been great. I have been avoiding going into my hunting area for several week now, not wanting to unsettle any bucks. Am I being to cautious, sounds like everybody else is still out there putting their cameras up?

I have three of them.....

Tonight I had two deer come in just as I was going to get down. I had one of my Homebrew cameras not 20 yards from me.

The cool thing was, I wanted to stay in the tree hoping to get a picture of them. One I think was a Spike. I am talking to my self, saying right about now..... Finally the flash go off. Did not even startle...
Then the other one starts heading over there. and the Flash goes off, he actually jumped...

They were out of my eye sight, when the Flash went off again. ( I have about 30Ft range)

I had checked the camera when I walked in and it was on #1 so it may be a few days before I will find out what they were for sure...

It was 7:45 when I got out. I think it will be worth it.

Vman, the last time we talked, you said something about wiring in a slave flash to give the digital cameras more reach. Is that still a possibility ? I am getting kinda spoiled with the flash from the Canon Owl PF. It really lights up the area. Let me know what you think. Thanks !

Top Bottom