Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How many points for Zone 9?

Status
  • Deleted by N/A

Buckfevr

A few of you know me from some other sites. But for those of you who don't know me a little background as it pertains to Iowa. About 12 years ago I sold my gun and went exclusively bow, about 6-7 years ago I went exclusively public land and after knocking down around 30 deer with the bow on the public I now just hunt mature bucks on the public. But at this point it needs to be a slam dunk shot or I won't take it. It's much more about the hunt than the harvest. Recently I've gotten into using game cams and enjoy their use in figuring out the story on target bucks. I remain passionate about the archery buck pursuit.

Don't get me wrong I have plenty of opportunity here in IL and in terms of quality it's likely as good as I know the story on these parcels.

So why Iowa? Well first off it's not just Iowa for me it's the NE corner of Iowa. I have a buddy that's from the NE region of Iowa and some 15 years ago his sister Phyllis still lived a stones throw from Waukon. He also owned 70 acres as he wanted to retire "back home" someday and had a trailer parked there so we came up to visit during the horse auction. There was some well known local rich dude running it can't remember his name but his name was carved in his lawn as you entered town. Probably the only display of pride I saw while I was there. It was interesting to me to watch the amish have an "english" represent them so they wouldn't get out bid.

I was there for three days and I talked to over 100 people. Outside of work I don't talk to that many people in year back home. Unless you live there or have spent time there it's very hard to explain.

My friend Tom, hooked me up, got me dressed as one would locally, instructed me of a few phrases, coached me a bit so I wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb and I'm a quick study. Second day I wanted to pick up a dozen donuts folks were swinging buy and visiting and everyone loves free donuts, so I hit the bakery that was in the local grocery store and told the girl to pick me out a dozen and she was checking me and as she hands me the bag she says: "You're not from around here are you?"

Busted so I asked her, I said aren't the clothes right, she said no the clothes are right, I said the language dialect don't I have it down? She said no you got that right. So I say then what was it what gave it away? And she said "Cuz I ain't ever seen you before."

And before we got back to Phyllis's house that story had found it's way through town and back to her.

You can't help but fall in love with NE Iowa, the people do that to you.

But it is the natural beauty of the terrain features, seemingly hidden from the rest of the world that make you want to hunt it. For 15 years years I have wanted to hunt Iowa, but I had children and my wife traveled for work and leaving to hunt wasn't an option. My son has been off to college for a while now, but my daughter will soon be off as well and then I will be unencumbered.

So what's the deal for those who know, how many preference points does it take to draw zone 9?

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
Top Bottom