Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How Much Cutting?

loneranger

I know this has been asked before so forgive me..but how often do you cut clover? I suppose enough to keep it about 10 inches tall. I whacked it down to about that with a weed whip. Tore it up pretty good but it is showing good recovery. I assume a shot of low nitro fert at some point during the summer would help it grow new shoots but it grew knee high first time growth without much help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: loneranger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> how often do you cut clover? I suppose enough to keep it about 10 inches tall.

I assume a shot of low nitro fert at some point during the summer would help it grow new shoots but it grew knee high first time growth without much help. </div></div>

If it's white clover you may not need to cut it to often but you can keep it tender and lush by clipping it when it starts to flower. Clipping will also keep the broadleaf weeds at bay.

When your not removing the clover in the form of hay or extremely heavy grazing it shouldn't need a whole lot of fertilizer. If your having to clip it because of heavy growth then I wouldn't "feed" it to much.

If growth is slow and it's short and pale then a shot of fertlizer will give it some vigor and increase growth. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I was wondering that myself. I have about 1 1/2 acres of lush clover that is getting above my knees. How many times should it be trimmed per season and if I were to let someone cut and bale it would there be enough bales in 1 1/2 acres to be worth their time?

The amount of mowing that needs to be completed is dependent on how well the plot is growing.

I mowed 6 times last year.

You just need to keep an eye on it. When it "heads out" fully its time to mow it about 8 inches tall.

If you let it get to tall it gets steamy and rank, and then you have the problem with too thick of cutting discharge which can create dead spots.

Also, if you have a grass or weed problem you sure don't want them going to seed. Mowing also lets more sunlight into the ground which thickens your clover an helps to choke out the weeds and grass as well.

Oh, one more thing...time your mowing with a forecasted rain, especially if it is during a hot and dry period. Not a problem this year!

I would really love to cut my clover 6 times.

Farmer has it in the CRP program and know I have to wait until after the nesting period to cut it again. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if I were to let someone cut and bale it would there be enough bales in 1 1/2 acres to be worth their time? </div></div>

Everything is going to be high this year from corn to hay, so if you have someone close by that puts up hay..I would certainly ask them.

I would try to get a few bucks for it but if nothing else you get "free" mowing and it won't end up smothering your clover as Ghost mentioned.

Farmers have plowed up hay ground at a rapid rate to plant corn so ask around... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if I were to let someone cut and bale it would there be enough bales in 1 1/2 acres to be worth their time? </div></div>

Everything is going to be high this year from corn to hay, so if you have someone close by that puts up hay..I would certainly ask them.

I would try to get a few bucks for it but if nothing else you get "free" mowing and it won't end up smothering your clover as Ghost mentioned.

Farmers have plowed up hay ground at a rapid rate to plant corn so ask around... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

Thanks Paul, that was kinda my thought, I wouldn't want anything for it, just hate to see nice clover lay there and rot if someone could use it. I like the idea of baling to keep the mowed clover from smothering areas. I'll talk to some neighbors. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Top Bottom