Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How's your ethics?... what's the difference between food plots, baiting, and scents?

R

Rembrandt

I've hunted some states where baiting (putting food out to attract game) is legal. Yet most states (including Iowa) do not allow the practice. Yet many hunters make it a practice to hunt near food plots....or use scents to attract deer. Both are used to trick the animals natural urges for food and breeding....while these methods may or may not be legal in some states, are they ethical?

Good question! I have never thought of it that way. It depends on how you look at it, but it sounds to me like planting food plots, 'just for deer' is baiting, (putting food out to attract game) like you posted.

Are food plots ethical? I would say yes. Deer are going to feed in a field weather it be planted in Mossy Oak's Biologic or regular winter wheat or alfala.

As for deer scents and lures, I do not put much faith in them. I do hunt as scent free as I can, use a cover scent, and pay attention to the wind.

Are deer scents and lures ethical? I don't know. A deer's two best weapons are eyesite and sense of smell. If a buck is on the tail of a hot doe, he could care less about the scent you left behind you on a drag rag, but than again, if he is alone, he just might want to check out the hot doe that just happend to stop a few yards away from a stand, which would line the hunter up with an ethical killing shot. Who knows. JMHO

Good post Rembrandt

Interesting subject. Where do you stop in evaluating shortcuts that may sidestep some of the challenge of hunting?

High powered muzleloaders, 3 1/2" shotguns, compound bows, releases, carbon arrows, charcoal suits, gamefinders, trail cams, walkie talkies, fiber optic sights, leasing or buying land and controlling access, soboted bullets & slugs, camoflage, tree stands, turkey calls, grunt calls, rattling devices, decoys, etc...

It is the individual that determines what they want out of a hunt. Some folks are quite content and enjoy using these methods and many others to get to the harvest and get just as excited about it as anyone else. I'm a little concerned that we focus too much on the end result at times, but that kind of fits the trend of our society. (get it now)

I have my limitations of shortcuts for myself so I can keep my own hunting something I am satisfied with and enjoy. If we obey the laws of our states then we are probably doing ok. Ethics are tough to define and I, like everyone else prefer to think mine are good.

Have a Safe and Happy New Year.

God Bless the USA!

[This message has been edited by BW (edited 12-28-2001).]

Along the lines of views that have already been expressed, we can wander across some gray areas here. When a hunt is in its planning process, most hunters I know go to where deer are more likely to find food, water, and shelter that are naturally occurring. In this case, they are still using the deer's natural urges and instincts to harvest game. I would personally find a successful hunt to be more edifying if the deer I harvested was taken on a playing field where the deer had the vantage point. Whether or not I have a trophy on the wall or not, I am equally satisfied with a day outdoors. I do not condemn those that use these practices because, ultimately, they are just as important in the wildlife management arena as those who do not. Some view the process of "driving" deer to be unsportsmanlike but I believe that the end, in the afore-mentioned cases, justifies the means. The more mature hunter, IMHO, who looks at the mount on his wall will feel more edified when he/she can reflect on the hunt and view the animal as a worthy opponent. The degree of satisfaction I feel will be increased proportionally to the degree of advantage that my opponent has over me.

Top Bottom