Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunt of a Lifetime

jjohnson

Went out to video for a buddy of mine last Friday. The wind was wrong for his 2 man stand so we went to sit on the ground next to a alfalfa field. The corner of the field has some thick sapplings that are all rubbed up so we jumped the fence into an open pasture and put the sapplings in between us and the alfalfa. About an hour into the hunt I heard a deer about 15yds in front of us right in those sapplings but couldn't see anything. I told him to get ready. He grabbed his bow and raised his head to see in the sapplings. He said "BIG BUCK" 10yds. The deer worked by me at about 5 yds and my buddy still had to turn a full 180. The buck got to about 10 yds and I told him to start turning. BUSTED! We froze and buck just stared for awhile and then kept going. I told him to turn again. BUSTED! This is all on video and the deer was doing the head bob but couldn't figure out what was going on. I started to wheez and really had to cough. The deer took 2 more steps and I erupted. A big ole cough. We're pegged. My buddy jumped to his feet and drew. The deer took off into the alfafla. We both yelled out a couple grunts and he stopped whirled around and we were at a stare down. I got the camera up and running and said 30 yds. He said "are you on him?" "NO DONT SHOOT" I zoomed in on the buck and he was facing right at us. The arrow flew and the buck jumped the string with a left turn. The arrow entered right above his shoulder on the right side and was hanging out by his back left leg. He took about 10 leaping strides and then stopped and walked all hunched up over the crest of the hill. I've got him walking away for about 60 yds. It was beautiful...

ALL ON VIDEO!!!

We went to the house and watched the video and could clearly see it was a good shot. Went back and found some blood in the ten year but tracking was tough so we backed out. Returned this morning to find the buck about 200-250 yds from the where he was hit. I tell you that was most insane thing that has ever happened to me in my entire life. The footage is great and the trophy is better.
WHAT AN EXPERIENCE!!!

BradysBowKill05.jpg

Wow ruthunter, that sounds like a very exciting bow hunt. That's pretty cool that you also have it on video tape too! Congrats to your friend!

That is awesome!! I bet you were about ready to burst when you had to cough!! I'm glad it worked out for you guys. Is there any way to post video clips on here? I'd love to see that. Congrats to you and your buddy.

Sounds like an awesome hunt for sure, I like those close encounters of the deer kind.
grin.gif
It would be cool to see some of the video? Congrats to your friend.

Tell your buddy congrats on the awesome buck. What kind of video camera are you using? I would like to start to video some of my hunts. Thanks.

Yeah it was a pretty wild time. He's just got a sony video camera nothing professional or anything but it looks good. The other deer was another buddy's smaller eight. It was his first buck with a bow. I'm not done yet I'll be trying to video some other people in the upcoming weeks. And I still have a doe tag to fill. Good luck to everyone who hasn't filled out yet...

After reading this post i think ill take the video camera with me a lot more than what i use to. Tell your friend congrats on the buck!

Nice work buddy. I love to hear that you have that all on film. A buddy and I have really got into filming this year and cannot get the curse off when we have the camera in the stand. We have both shot a couple of does this year and it was on the only days that we have not been together to film. Everytime we go out we tell ourselves that the curse is over but has yet to go. Anyway, great teamwork and a nice deer also. p.s. whats the deer next to your buddy's? It looks good sized also.

Top Bottom