Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

hunter safety age requirement

G

I heard that the age required for hunter safety had changed to 1972. can anybody verify?

The 2002 Spring Turkey Hunting Guide from DNR says:
Resident hunters born after Jan. 1, 1972 and non-resident hunters born after Jan. 1, 1967.

The DNR website says:
anyone born after January 1, 1967 must be certified in hunter education

This looks like a change to me for resident hunters since the turkey guide is newer.

Perhaps Blind Sow can clarify/explain.

If I'm not mistaken the law (in the code book) still reads 1-1-67 for mandatory hunter ed. The problem is that when the DNR went to the ELSI system (electronic licensing) it requires an individual to show proof that he/she successfully completed the hunter ed class.

A problem started popping up when people who took the class back when it first became mandatory needed a duplicate card (if they had lost their original) to show to an ELSI vendor. For whatever reasons the DNR had incomplete records for those first couple of years but complete records exist for those born in 1972 and after. That's why there are two dates.

Doug

Blind Sow - How can a guy obtain a new hunter safety card?? I've misplaced mine and afraid now that I lost it, a vendor will ask to see it now. I was born in '75 so the new law doesn't affect me. Funny how that stuff works. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

i mean a duplicate hunter safety card, not license, sorry bout that.

I talked to the DNR on Friday and they said that after contacting them that my hunters safety designation will be on all my licenses!

Top Bottom