Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunting Boots

blake

Life Member
A pair of boots is a personal item; you need to match your boot to your body not just your feet.

Proper fit is very important when selecting a new pair of hunting boots. However you may be surprised how many people buy a pair of boots after trying them on with an everyday pair of casual socks, when they intend on hunting with a wool sock or a combination of a wool sock and a liner sock. When purchasing a pair of hunting boots one should always try on the boots with the socks or combination of socks you plan to wear when hunting.

Insulation is the number one factor in a technical boot's properties that affects warmth, but the key to selecting a proper hunting boot is keeping in mind your body’s makeup and how you plan to use the boot?

Many people have either hot feet or cold feet knowing your body's tendency is very important when selecting a new pair of boots.

Thinsulate™ is an excellent insulation choice because it provides a great deal of warmth without excessive bulk and weight. The insulation-rating factor for boots is always listed in grams.

The utility of insulation can be broken down into three functional levels listed below:

Uninsulated to 200 gram: These boots are best for early season and high activity levels.

400 gram to 800 gram: This is the most popular category of hunting boots with insulation levels that cover most fall hunting situations.

1000 gram and up: These boots are designed for colder, winter weather and more sedentary activities such as hunting from a tree stand or a blind.

If I missed the boots you are going to wear, please post you brand. :)

I have had a lot of boots, but Muck are the best IMO. They are light and feel like shoes, warm for cold season sits, waterproof and knee high to get across streams or rivers, scent free rubber, and pretty durable.

I bought a new pair of LaCrosse rubber boots before the season started and have worn them out a good dozen times atleast. To me, they still seem to have that new rubber boot smell. any advice how to get rid of it?

I have always hunted with Rocky's and I love them. I wouldn't have anything else.

I'm breaking in a pair of Danner Pronghorns. They definitely need breaking in so spend some time wearing them before heading out for a big day.

I went to Danner Frontier's when Rocky quit making the Stalker 600's. They seem to be working good for me. I have 3 pairs for Iowa Hunting, uninsulated, 400 & 1000 gram.

I don't know why these companies think they need to reinvent the wheel, but I guess it catches our attention and $$$. My hunting partners keep buying the new bows and muzzleloaders every year even thought the other one's worked fine. 8^)

I have a pair of Cabelas full draw 400 gram. I have wore them elk hunting 2x and had them for a total of four years. I absolutely love them.

Top Bottom