Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunting lobby- NR and NR landowners

I dont have all the answers, Clearly doe management is an issue not easily conquered. Clearly he state seems to think the residents need three more days to kill more does. I am just saying if NR are coming to the state to kill he bucks, they should have to kill more does as well and on top of that , if you own land there, you should be absolutely required to harvest some % of property size in does. My point being, make NR work a little, why should a resident have to go out and buy 12 doe tags to hunt my farm when he is trying to manage his. It all sounds great on paper until u ask someone to freeze their butts off to shoot does. As I said earlier I have 2 guys, they shot 10 so far . I can see in the last 4 years, less and less shotgun hunters in the area. that can not be helping. No disrespect meant here, you are the food plot guru, just giving you my opinion

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just giving you my opinion
</div></div>

and it's certainly appreciated...not picking on you by any means but just hoping to encourage others by our posts.

Your thoughts are valid but very very difficult to implement or enforce such changes I'm afraid. Which is why I feel we should keep encouraging voluntary efforts.

If we insist on "forcing" NR's to harvest X# of does then why not resident landowners? Run that by the local farmers, Farm Bureau, lawmakers etc. and see how that goes over! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I have felt for a long time that ALL hunters in areas where deer numbers are out of control should have to earn the right to take a buck just as they do in our urban hunts. Some hunters in these areas kill 20 does to earn the right to hunt a buck..of course even that idea goes over like a "lead balloon" out here in the country /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Real change comes hard but it starts here with "ideas" and thoughts be exchanged. Unfortunatly most NR and Res. landowners in my area that own land soley for the purpose of hunting do little if any "herd management". Many have been approached by DNR biologists encouraging them to allow some antlerless hunting but they scoff at the idea. This attitude leaves many of us with a very sour attitude towards NR landowners I'm afraid.

I know this...forcing hunters/landowners to do anything doesn't go over well....

In my area it seems like overall interest or participation in shotgun hunting has slowly waned as access has diminished and hunters have grown older. Farms get larger, young people move away, land gets leased or sold so that remaining hunters eventually give up.

My concern is that lawmakers just don't see any of this...they just don't get it. Even the IDNR is guilty or they wouldn't be clamoring for more NR tags. They seem intent on "hanging themselves with their own rope" so to speak... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Landowners aren't the only guilty ones...outfitters have leased every available spec of land around both of my farms. Each promising to "kill lots of does"...however thus far none have been taken and because of NR owned refuges next door...I doubt that any serious impact will be made if they have a late season hunt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you own land there, you should be absolutely required to harvest some % of property size in does. </div></div>

I agree with you...but I just don't see it happening....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pharmer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone have tags and want to hunt in the Washington area? </div></div>

I've had one person contact me about hunting and I gave them permission but won't be there until after the emergency season. There must not be too much trouble with access in Washington county anyway.

Two cents from another nonresident...
Why is there such a disconnect in ideas between the Iowa hunting groups and local Iowa farmers regarding access and what's fair??
We own ground in southern Iowa and hunt pheasant and quail there and all over the state. We have many local farmer friends,have great access,and enjoy our time in Iowa.
Every one of the farmers I know,(all Iowa residents)and all of my immediate neighbors think it's crazy that I cannot get tags for turkey every year to hunt our own ground, much less deer.
My family was originally from around New Virginia and they all find this whole issue just as puzzling.

Top Bottom