Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunting watering areas?

G

I'm planning on hunting my areas water source this fall. The area I'm talking about is 200 acres of woods with alfalfa to the south and raods to the north and west. On the east the area is bordered by a local river. On normal years in the forest areas up here there are plenty of watering areas but this year it had been DRY and everything is dried up. This river has to be a major watering source for the deer herd as it is the only wter for miles. The land on the other side of the river is also solid forest with the land on both sides of the north and west roads being forest land as well. There are some polar and brush choked draws running down to the river and along the river are tight stands of spruce. I'm sure the deer are watering here I just don't know where to set up or what time of the day to set up in that area. Any suggestions from anybody would be a huge help.

My experience has shown mornings to be excellent for movement on the river even though I'm in Iowa and you're in Canada I have the same situation as you. What I do know is that the deer I've hunted for years seem to cross the river in the same spot year after year (Yes they swim it often). The past couple of years have been dry in my area and the river is a major water source. Pick a spot close enough to the rivers edge because the deer will often paralell the river bank. I found my crossings by scouting looking for tracks and hunting when the wind was favorable. I hunt from a ground blind because no mature trees are available in my area (mostly willows and brush). A few sits on stand will show you where the deer like to frequent. Then move in for the kill.

Top Bottom