Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

I have a ? about youth...

C

Chipguy

I have read the rules and from what I have read it states that youth under 12 may hunt with adult, is this correct? Next I would like to know if the youth needs to have a hunter safety card if under 12 and hunting with an adult, that is what I am not sure about? I have a 9 year old and he would like to take a try at it, after last year when he got to witness me calling up an old gobbler to within 10 yards of us, and I got it all on video tape.

later
Doug

Your son may hunt with you as long as he has a turkey liscense, he can not get his hunters safety card until his 12th B-Day, so do not have to worry about that. After his 12th B-Day he may hunt by himself if you allow it as long as he has both a hunting liscense and hunters ed certificate. Godd luck this spring and hopefully your son will continue to enjoy the great outdoors.

Your son only needs a turkey lic.,and a licensed adult must be with him. The adult needs a small game lic., habitat stamp, and a turkey license for one of the seasons, this does not need to be the same season as your sons. I started my son when he was 8, and he his hooked. He has shot at least one every year so far.

Thanks guys, that is how I was reading it. I just wanted to make sure. I have to start saving for a gun for him to hunt with now. Griz what did your son use when he was 8? I am not sure to get him a 20 or 12 gauge, I would like to get him an semi, if I can afford one for him.

later
Doug

My son used a 20 gauge until he turned 12, then used a 12 gauge with a recoil pad so the recoil wouldn't make him flinch (too much--still wouldn't have him shoot too many). However, he's a pretty big kid, taller than many adults now at 14, and younger/smaller would probably do better and enjoy more with a 20.

Something to think about, is that a semi is always ready for another shot as soon as the trigger is pulled without any action by the shooter. Not nearly as safe for a new hunter, especially in a moment of excitement when even an experienced hunter might forget to flip the safety back on. I would recommend a pump instead, maybe harder for a youngster to re-arm, but that's much better for him and you than a tragic accident.

And coincidentally, I just happen to also have a nice youth BPS 20 gauge that's been outgrown....

Seriously, think about a pump for a first gun, 20 gauge for younger/smaller. Good luck on your hunt.

I would only have one shell in there, that is about all you are going to get at a turkey at that age. I only wanted the semi for recoil purposes only. I have lots of research to do and letting him see which fits him. I intend to go to a gunsmith to make sure that it will fit him right,

I shoot a Herrington and richardson single shot 20 gauge and really like it i shot my first turkey with it. the recoil isn't bad at all.

Top Bottom