Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

I need a doctor

S

sludge

Thursday afternoon. Jan 24. Sunny and about 45 or so.

A Postcard winter day. Of course, all of the seasons are closed. I still have gear floating around the back of my truck and I need to get out of the concrete, pavement jungle.

I had to go see a client so I headed up I-29, north of Council Bluffs.

I'm kicking back, listening to a new CD that I just got(Puddle of Mudd in case you are wondeing)(A damn fine rock cd, but thats another story)

So, here I am, CD jamming, relaxed, sun shining, heading north and there they were!!!

18 Deer. 17 of which were does of various size, walking along in single file 1 mile south of the Honey Creek exit going towards a corn field. 50 yards off of the interstate.

Oh, along with those 17 does was ONE BIG SONOFABITCHINGWALLHANGINGBUCK!! holy sheets!

I am glad there was no traffic behind as I almost slammed the brakes and swerved into the other lane!!!!

Just when I "THOUGHT" I had all of my whitetail urges out of me, just when I was finally getting around to putting away the gear for the year facing the realizion that scouting is a long way away.....they have to do this to me.

I need some medication.

No surprise,I still been seeing bucks north of town by the water works. Maybe sometime they'll drop and I can go shed hunting.

What I have found is this is the best time of the year to do your scounting. You can still see all the rub lines and scrapes. You can walk right into the bedding areas to jump them and they will forget about you being there by next season.

If we get snow this year, jump a good buck from his bed and than back track and learn more about his movements. If something bad does not happen to that big boy he will be around for you to hunt him next season. During June and July, set up with a spoting scope in his general area. Find out if he is still around and where he is coming out to feed.

Top Bottom