Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

I took my son on his first bowhunt today

CamoMan

This morning, I woke Taylor, my 11-year old son, and prepared him for his first day of bowhunting. We got ready a little slower than I would have if it were just me. We got to the stand just a little later than I normally would have. But it didn't matter. . . my son was hunting with me, and he was excited about it (and so was I). Last night, I had seen 5 deer, and my other hunting partner had seen 15 at the opposite end of the field. I even had a doe under my stand, and watched her get her photo taken later as she walked by my deer cam. I was optomistic that we would see some deer this morning. I got Taylor into his ladder stand, and he got his safety harness fastened. As I headed to my stand about 60 yards away on another trail, part of me was excited, and part of me was nervous about leaving him 'alone'. As it turns out, no deer came through our area while we were there. After a couple hours, I went over to meet Taylor, and have him shoot a couple arrows before he got down. The practice has paid off . . . he is ready for a deer now. As we walked across the cornfield, heading back toward our truck, Taylor looked at me and said " Thanks for taking me hunting, Dad. It was a lot of fun even if we didn't see any deer" I gotta confess - I'm getting choked up just typing this. I love my 3 kids dearly, and I look for things that I have in common with each of them. With Taylor, fortunately, one of those things is hunting. I just thank God for giving me opportunities like this. I hope Taylor gets a deer, or at least a couple of 'close encounters'. After this morning, I realized that I have already had a successful season. A nice buck would just be a bonus. Maybe this post seems a bit mushy, but I don't apologize for that. If you have kids, and if one of them shows interest in hunting. . . take them with you. They might 'get in the way' sometimes, but the paybacks are beyond description. Happy hunting !!

I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. I HAVE NOT TAKEN MY SON WITH ME IN THE STAND YET, BUT THAT TIME IS COMING AND I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO IT. I TAKE HIM WITH ME WHEN I AM GLASSING FOR DEER ALL THE TIME. ABOUT A MONTH AGO I ASKED HIM TO COME WITH ME AND MY HUNTING PARTNER TO SET UP A COUPLE OF NEW STANDS AND I THOUGHT HE WAS GOING TO EXPLODE. IT WAS GREAT TO SEE THE REACTION ON HIS FACE.
I DO HAVE A QUESTION TO ASK OF ALL OF YOU. AS MY SON IS ONLY 7 HE CAN NOT HUNT FOR A FEW YEARS. MY QUESTION IS HOW OLD WERE SOME OF YOUR KIDS WHEN YOU TOOK THEM IN THE STAND WITH YOU?
GOOD LUCK THIS SEASON.

I was 9 years old when my dad first took me to sit with him in his treestand. I still remember that day, and I could hardly contain my excitement. I hunted the next year for the first time with a gun on a landowners license, sitting right next to my father so he could coach me along. I didn't get a deer, but I loved it anyway. The next year I hunted with a landowners tag and shot my first deer with my dad....and experience that I will NEVER forget. Over a dozen deer have fallen to my hunting efforts since that day, and I will always cherish each and every day in the woods.
Good luck and good hunting!

-GunnerJon

Well said Camoman. I've taken a lot of game over the last 40+ years but my most meaningful and memorable hunts are those when my kids were along.

well as far as i'm concerned it doesn't get any better than hunting with your son.i have 2 son's 1 that hunts and 1 that don't. the joy of hearing what he has seen in the stand is pure enjoyment for me. my youngest missed several bucks last year,his first year bow hunting. but i sure liked hearing about the hunt. we get to hunt together on weekends,i work day's and he works nites, plus he is 21 so all his priorities are not for the 4 legged deer, if u know what i mean. but i do remember all my hunts with my dad, so take your kid's if they enjoy going along. both of you won't forget your time together
smile.gif

Awesome, good luck to both of you this year. My oldest son is now 10 and he was with me last year when I shot my buck, it was a great time for both of us and he is jacked about going again. He of course claimed the buck as his! It was the first time I had let him up in a treestand.

I think he can probably handle a weapon next fall and I am already looking forward to taking him out while he is hunting. Enjoy the time with your family, that is what is all about.

Top Bottom