Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

In the Market For A Recurve, Need Suggestions...

Team Haastyle

Host of Haastyle Hunting
Hey guys,

Well after bow hunting for quite a few years now with my compound, I have started to get the itch to hunt more traditionally with a recurve. Just wondering if any of you have a suggestion of who makes the best recurve bow out there and if there are any tips/tricks I should know before going into this new endeavor. Thanks in advance! :way:

only tip i can offer, is that if you shoot a 70 pound compound, don't think u need a 70 pound recurve. the thing that leads to the most frustration (and bad habits) in shooting recurves, is over poundage. start with a 45-50 pound bow and move up down the road, if you want

teeroy is correct, don't over bow yourself. As far as bows, if it were me, I'd look into a good vintage recurve from the 60's or 70's. They can be bought at a great price, 100 bucks or so and will perform with the new ones. That way, if by some chance you don't like the sport........although you will, :)......there's not a lot of funds tied up and you can always get your money back from those old classics.
Also, stick with something in the 60 to 62 inch length, they are much easier to shoot than the short ones. Especially for just starting out.

I will be going to this event!

Ok, here is my next question.....

Do I go with a one-piece recurve or one that the limbs are attached with hardware?

Depending on how much you are looking to spend, there are a ton of awesome recurves, but some will cost you as much as a compound.

If you dont want to spend that much money and just want to kinda try it out and see if you like it (like I did), the Samick Sage Takedown is an incredible bow. They are like $140. I have shot a ton of bows and never shot one that was even close to that bow for anywhere near the price. I am VERY happy with mine.

You can also get replacement limbs for it too if you decide you want more weight later. Take the other guys advice and start light. I am pretty young and pull a 70lb compound like nothing, and my recurve is a 45#.

One piece vs takedown - Im not sure how much it really matters, since I dont know that much about it, but I like the fact that I can take mine apart (without tools) and pack it all in my bag if I want..

An older Bear recurve is a great start. I'd look for 40-45# bow to start with. I wouldn't go spend too much on your first bow to see if you really like the sport.

I started out with a reflex/deflex long bow & am now on recurves. You'll go through a lot of bows...just make sure your first bow isn't too heavy in poundage.

Hate to bother you guys with another question (pretty clueless on the subject)...but just wondering what the preferred arrow is to shoot out of one of these bad boys? I currently shoot Carbon Express Maxima Hunters out of my compound, but dont know if that's the right arrow to go with. Thanks for all the replies so far!!!

I personally shoot aluminums in my trad bow set up (Easton's in 1916) for my 45# bow. If you shoot carbons you will need to load them up with alot of weight up front to get them to fly well & to be the correct spine for the bow. It's not that hard to do and there's alot of information out there on carbons that shoot well out of trad bows.

Pick out your bow, then work on the arrows.

Carbons will work just fine out of a recurve!! Like any other bow ya have to match them up!!:way: When ya get good let me know! I have a couple Jack Howards Ill sell ya for 1K a piece!!!!!!!!!:way:

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Hey did ya ever find a recurve? I know it's been a while since this has been replied to and the best advice I saw was length and weight of bow.

A longer bow 60 to 64 will make it much easier on your fingers because of the acute angle of a full drawn string on a short bow.

The holding weight of any traditional bow steadily increases with every inch you draw them and it's easy to creep forward an inch or more! Not so with a compound once it breaks over it's hard to creep a couple inches forward! LOL! Thus the recommendation for 45 to 50 pound pull!

Hope ya found a good one.

~HF~

Last edited:
Top Bottom