Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Inserts!!

ironwood

I've had trouble with inserts on a dozen Beman ICS 400's that I've been shooting since October. I just started shooting a new dozen and the insert on one already pulled part way out tonight. Does any one else have troubles with this? Someone suggested to me that it was Easton inserts that where causing the problem. I wanted to blame the glue. It’s kind of annoying. I’d love to hear from the pros here as to your thoughts.

well im no pro, but i bought some easton excels and the first bowshoot i lost 3 or 4 inserts, and its very annoying, i was worried i was gonna have to borrow arrows just to finish the course
frown.gif

No pro here either but what glue was used? I use Goat Tuff or Gorilla Glue and do not have a problem. It also depends on having the right component in the shaft. I think a 400 shaft should be able to use a Easton ACC-60 Component for insert and a ACC-60 uni bushing for the G nock. This fits rather snug right from the git go and the above glues actually expand a bit to make it even more bullet proof.

i agree with Rudd, gotta be the glue. either not enough was used or it's crappy glue.

It was suggested to me by a local shop owner to use industrial strength super glue. I bought 12 of these arrows from a different local shop and the last 12 from Ebay. It just looks like Easton might really have an issue. I am going to go out and buy some Super Glue at a hobby shop around the corner and see if it makes a difference.

I would be curious how many other people have experienced problems similar to this. Thanks for the feedback gents.

Ok, so when an insert comes out simply glue it back in with plenty of glue.
1. Can I over do it with the glue?
2. Would it matter if I simply use industrial strength super glue? That sounded a little off to me but I can get the glue right around the corner and if it'll work who cares.
3. If the insert pulls part way out would you pull it the rest of the way out and reglue or push it back in?
4. Install new insert or reuse the one that pulled out?

Here is my final and related question. What kind of basic repair item do most of you maintain at home for both bow and arrows? I don’t want to go into business for myself but feel I sound be putting some basic maintenance practices in place. Serving, fletch repair, that kind of stuff.

should be able to re-use insert. Pull it all the way out and clean it up. I know others use this Industrial Super Glue and have no problems. One thing to ponder is you can actually gain weight by to much glue. 99% could care less about a few grains.....you should be fine. Do you have a 3D shoot this weekend or are you getting antsy to get this problem resolved?

Thanks Ryan,

I shot the first night of a summer league at Archery Field and Sport last night. All 3D targets and had a very crappy night as far as equipment goes. I won't go into all of it here but these inserts where a big pain in the rear. As four pulled loose on these older ISC 400's I was blaming the shop that made them. Then I started shooting the new arrows and right away one of those inserts pulled half way out. I always twist my arrow before pulling it could that be part of the trouble? If I am going to be shooting at 3D targets once a week all sumer I need to figure this out.

Two tips
One - don't twist your arrows in a 3D target - pull straight out.
Two - when you glue in inserts, make sure the shaft is really clean inside. I use 92% Rubbing alcohol (the cheaper 70% is not clean enough) on a Qtip and let it dry a minute before glueing. I use Bondini Gel super glue (available at Walmart) and have no troubles at all.

Iron, lube them suckers with soap or Armorall...there's another product that works great.......I can't think of the name.....Woody's arrow lube or sumtin.

Mike, just get aluminum arrows and call it a day.....I can't remember the last insert that pulled out of one of mine.
grin.gif
Of course we could get into another debate about Aluminum vs carbon but why go there????

Gunrunr, I also use 92% alcohol and q-tip to clean the inside of the shaft, you may also try roughing up the inside of the shaft. Try using AAE Fastset glue, its pretty instant. It starts to dry as soon as the oxygen is taken way from it and is very strong. Also, you may want to try using 'lube in a tube' or plain old ivory soap works great too when shooting 3-D.

Mike - I use AAE also and never have any problems at all. You have to be careful with some of the carbons, when you twist them while still in the target they can unravel right in your hands. Seen it many times. Try a lube tube or bar soap.

OK no more twisting. I bought some Goat Tuff before reading some of these replies, kids read them then I don't have the high lights to draw my attention. I'll be lubing my arrow in the future as well. Thanks for all of the great replies, except that one about using aluminum arrows.

I bought a lube tube today and some new 3D tips that have a teflon base. We'll see how things go with those

Top Bottom