Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa hill country question?

In hill country (East Central Iowa) where do you guys generally find that the bucks bed compared to does during the fall. The area I hunt is mostly crop fields up top and wooded ditches that drop down low. I'm fairly new to this type of ground (2 long weekends of hunting total in 2 seasons) and have already learned a lot about how the wind/thermals work and how deer negotiate the terrain features. I've noticed that bucks like to bed where two ridges come together to form a V that has thick cover. Along the sides of ridges where the under cover is very thick compared to the surroundings, I kicked up a huge buck a couple seasons ago. Any other locations I should key in on? I figured a couple of you guys are very good at hunting this type of ground.

Thanks for the help

I think it differs from area to area. In my opinion the deer bedding situation depends more on hunting pressure than the lay of the land. That's just what I've noticed in my area though.

i know you are asking for fall.... but the rut and hot does will greatly determine that i think....

but right now, it seems if you can find a south (type) facing slope nearest to the most abundant food source you will find the deer/sheds....

thats just a theory, but one i believe in
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Top Bottom