Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Is It Safe to Go in the Timber Now?

D

deerman

I don't shotgun hunt.And don't mess around in the woods when it's there turn to hunt deer.Now that the coast is clear.I can't wait to get back out there to do some scouting and looking for sheds.When can a guy start finding them?I just started looking for them last year.It was March,when some of the snow was melted.The snow was way too deep to look any sooner.My first find was a nice one and I'm very eager to do some looking.

Some earlier posts here indicate antlers are already being shed (perhaps due to unusual weather)....normally it doesn't occur till about January and later...

I think it's safe now. Take a plastic shopping bag and you can make a couple bucks picking up the cans! OUCH!
wink.gif

rembrandt-

we've picked antlers up this time of year before, probably not the norm, but it does happen. i can't wait till the end of February to start scouring the corn fields around my area, found some good ones this spring while turkey scouting. =)

We were out for second season shotgun and found a really nice shed from last year. The base measured 7" around and scored 88" total. that with a lot of mouse damage, so who knows how big it actually was. It had 6 points but looked like 1 had been chewed off.
Shot a really nice 10 pointer, 6 3/4" base. Haven't had time to measure it yet as I'm going back out with my bow in search of the really big one I missed with my shotgun. He was only 25 yards from my stand and I missed him!

Top Bottom