Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

jerky question

muddy

I'm making some jerky with Hi Mountain Jerky Seasoning. The receipe says to let it cure for 24-28 hours at a minimum. Well, I have only so much time to work around and I started curing it last night at 8 pm or so. Do any of you think if I started baking it a few hours earlier that the curing would be finished? If not would it make any diference?

Raven, this question is mainly directed to you since I know you use that stuff!! Anybody else is welcome to answer if they have some good feedback.

muddy, I use the same stuff and i have let it cure as little as 16 hours and it still tastes the same as when you cure it for 24 hours. Usually i start curing mine around 4 - 5 on Friday night and put it in the dehydrator around 9 - 10 on Saturday morning. It's always turned out good.
Blaster i know your going to read this and your batch is next, thanks for the roast.

Muddy,

When making jerky or sausage the cure time usually has much more to do with safety than flavor. You need to give the curing salt (nitrates) time to permiate the meat so bacteria can not grow on it during the slow process of dehydrating/smoking at warm temperatures. Bacteria thrives in moist warm conditions, and can cause serious food poisening if it gets a chance to grow.

That said, there is nothing magical about 24 hours. Most sausage recipes say "let cure over night", which I interpret as a 10 hour minimum. Also when I make jerky I make my own brine and sometimes forget to put any curing salt in at all and so far I have been lucky.

IaCraig

Like IaCraig said, it won't make it taste any different. As long as you cut the pieces small enought, say an inch or less in thickness you should be fine. The 24 hours is based on how fast the cure can penatrate the meat.

I use High Mountain and I always add more spice, black or cayenne pepper.

Tim

I have always followed the direction on the package pretty close. I always do about 15-20 lbs of meat at a time. With two dehydrators going the last of the meat doesn't even see the rack until it's sat for at least 48 hours. Then I'll freeze the finished jerky in small Ziplocs until I need it. I'll also add extra pepper as PYbucks does.

Well, everything turned out just fine. The jerky is wonderful, next time I'm gunna get some jalopeno or habenero to put on just before I cook it for some additional spice. It's good but doesn't have that kick I'm looking for. Thanks for the help guys.

I use that stuff too. I let it cure fot about a day and a half and cook it in the oven for only about 3 hours and havent had a bad batch yet.

Top Bottom