Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Just wondering...

jmm46

how deer react to oat fields planted by farmers right now to harvest in August? The fields have normally been sweet corn, beans, or corn, now this year he planted oats and said they will be harvested in august. So what I'm wondering is if the deer will feed in this field during the summer? And once it's harvested will the deer still feed in it like they do in a picked corn/bean field? Should I see if I can broadcast winter rye/ or jerry oats after the farmer harvests it??

how deer react to oat fields planted by farmers right now to harvest in August? The fields have normally been sweet corn, beans, or corn, now this year he planted oats and said they will be harvested in august. So what I'm wondering is if the deer will feed in this field during the summer? And once it's harvested will the deer still feed in it like they do in a picked corn/bean field? Should I see if I can broadcast winter rye/ or jerry oats after the farmer harvests it??

They will eat the oats when they are young and succulant but once they begin to mature and dry down they willl avoid them. After combining then in August, some spilled oats may sprout and again become attractive but late August would be a great time to broadcast winter rye at 150#'s per acre for a fall/winter attractant. :way:

Top Bottom