Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

killing brome this wkend?

LoessHillsArcher

PMA Member
I'm really really bored at work and was wondering how would this weekend work for spraying brome around new tree plantings? We are going to knock it down and then use buckets to protect the trees. If the rain holds off would this be a good time of year to do some major damamge to the brome?

Most of the brome in the fields I have looked at are starting to head out. This makes it even tougher to kill, on top of being one of the toughest grasses to kill anyway. If you are going to try to kill it, make sure you run a full rate of glyphosate (round up will be 44 oz, generic will be 64 oz to the acre) to be most effective on established brome.

Sorry to hi-jack but I have a few questions on this myself. I had mowed around my seedlings in early May and noticed they really need some spraying done to get rid of some serious competition. I have about 4,000 seedlings so I know it is going to be some work. I have a pull behind 30 gallon ATV sprayer with small boom and wand. How worried should I be about drift if my trees are about 12 feet apart and my rows about 10 feet apart? I was planning on the bucket/trash can cover method also but was wondering if I should cover surrounding trees to? After all the work we've done I'd hate to kill healthy trees with drifting chemicals. Any tips wold be great.

Actually, you can get by, by using Select. It is a grass killer and shouldn't harm any of your tree's. It's no guarantee, but after talking to the rep about killing out brome in CRP where there are a bunch of tree's, he said that it shouldn't kill the tree's, may burn the leaves off of them.

Don't worry about hi-jacking, I'm looking for more great info every time I get on /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

nanny - are you saying select sprayed would kill the brome? obviously wouldn't kill other broadleaf weeds but there are none in our case. Burning leaves doesn't sound good to a rookie but do trees bounch back from this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoessHillsArcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nanny - are you saying select sprayed would kill the brome? obviously wouldn't kill other broadleaf weeds but there are none in our case. Burning leaves doesn't sound good to a rookie but do trees bounch back from this? </div></div>

From reading the label is cautions about applying over the top of trees...that it may cause injury, and to test it on different types of trees before spraying the whole place.

I suspect that Select would cause less damage then roundup but I've never used it on trees?

Select 2 EC

We wants to be our Guinea Pig?? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoessHillsArcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ummmmmm.........Skully??? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

Hey, if someone sends me a jug of it I'd be glad to be the "test subject"! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Oh, by the way, anyone but Rudd! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif My problem is that everywhere soil was disturbed for the tree plantings I have all sorts of broadleaf and grasses popping up. The tree planting service sprayed the dormant seedlings after planting and they looked great.......until this spring when the new weeds started popping. It is easy to see the competition a tuft of foxtail can have on a 10" white pine seedling. I am now understanding the truth about "the first three years being the most crucial for the tree survival". All the rain this spring has put a damper on my spraying and now everything is leafed out making it more difficult. Need rain for trees to grow but darned rain screws up my spraying....sheesh, I'm starting to sound like a farmer! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Top Bottom