Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Killing Locust:

loneranger

This spring was my fist attempt at kiling Blk Locust trees on my land. I used loppers on most ,cutting them off at ground level, some I just hacked all branches off to the trunks. Large trees I girdled the bark all around. What will these trees do? Will they all spout up again. From reading here I am assuming they are tough to kill and come back again. Thanks.

Black locust will resprout 2 or 3 shoots for every one you trimmed off, as they sucker off the root system. Your best bet is to trim them then spray the stump with a herbicide like Tordon.

Unless they are in my yard, a problem for tires in a foodplot, or big enough to shade a more desired tree, I leave them alone. Deer like the pods.

I have honey locust issues on my place, and I've experienced resprout when I first tried to kill them. Tordon RTU painted on the stump in the July-Sept timeframe worked, or treat the stump with diesel/crossbow in the winter months. It seemed tougher to kill them in the April-May timeframe for me. In some areas I've sprayed the foliage with crossbow/water and it killed them quick, then burned the area or cleared it later.

[ QUOTE ]
Deer like the pods

[/ QUOTE ]Like pharmer said. I key in on them as a food source certain times of the season for my setups. Unless they are causing problems I also would leave them.

Black locust is an introduced specie in Iowa. It has small, opposite thorns and small pods. The pods aren't utilized much by wildlife. The tree is a legume and therefore does have nitrogen fixing bacteria in its root nodules and it does help stop erosion but it is one of my least favorite trees. I'll usually kill it to release about anything else except elm. As mentioned it does root sucker alot if you cut the trunk. It is best to girdle it in the early fall and treat the cut with tordon for a good kill.

Honey locust is the one that usually has huge thorns. I used to kill them by double girdling larger trees and by cutting and treating smaller trees. Now I do as mentioned above and actually do tsi and release the tree because the pods are so popular with deer unless the tree is in a spot where tire puncture is probable.

Protecting honey locust and red cedar will pretty much confirm to local farmer neighbors that you are nuts.
grin.gif

A great reference on Iowa trees is "Forest and Shade Trees of Iowa" which is available through Iowa State University Press in Ames.

Hope this helps,
Old Buck
grin.gif

Top Bottom