Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Kinetic energy

jharrell

I have a question for those of you who have a better grasp on this subject. What is a good range in ft/lbs of kinetic energy?

I'm betting this topic will get a variety of responses.

KE calculations indicate my traditional equipement throws an arrow that carries about 37 ft/lbs. This has usually always meant pass through shots with 2 and 3 blade heads on whitetails.

In my experience, 37 ft/lbs will get the job done well.

Curious to here others thoughts.

26404-archer[1].gif
157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif

i was figuring out my kinetic energy the other day and it looks like im around 57.7 ft/lbs. i also read somewhere sposedly 45 minimum deer and 55 minimum for big game, but 37 sounds good to me, if it kills deer!!!!
smile.gif

I am a rather short strong person and have been my whole life. I started shooting bow very young. Dad said I can hunt when I could pull 40 lbs.I could pull enough poundage, but had trouble finding a bow that fit me. 40 lbs at a 20 in draw length was hard to find. We finally had a guy build me a bow. I have no idea what the KE would have been on that setup though. I wouldn't think it would be 45 or more, but a two blade, close range, and only a good angle can and will do the trick.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Are you wondering if you can still throw your Clinometer hard enough to create enough K/E to take a deer or what? It's been almost a year since you hurt your arm. Tell me you didn't challenge your wife to another arm wrestling match?
doah.gif

No Rack I gave that up after she ripped my arm off last year. We leg wrestle now. I think I could beat her if she didn't out weigh me by a couple hundred pounds. Yes sir, nothing like a corn fed Iowa women!!!
grin.gif

As far as the clinometer goes I am getting to be a pretty good shot with that thing. I wonder what the K.E. would be for something that ways over 5000 grains.

Actually River Bottom Boy has a good point (no pun intended). I was reading an article the other day that said 40 ft/lbs was all that is needed for a pass through on a deer. I figured mine up the other day and I am in the 60 to 65 ft/lb area. I guess all said and done I am more concerned about my arrow weight, tip weight and point of balance to be sure my bow is getting the opportunity to shoot it's best. I guess the K.E. will fall in place if you get the other stuff set up right. If I were asked I would say that my bow is shooting great but I wonder if I am getting all I can out of it. Someone needs to start a string on arrow weight and point of balance.

Headgear,
F.O.C? I have always heard that between 9 and 13% is where you want to be. I am shooting about 10% out of my Legacy and getting great arrow flight.

Here is a website I use a lot when figuring...
bowjackson.com

Has a lot of info on it.
waytogo.gif

Limb,

Using the calculator on Jackson's site I come up with FOC of 10.1% But I'm not sure about the efficiency. I'm shooting an old (but still good) Darton set up at 65 lbs. (with 30" Easton XX75's 2315s and 125 gr.broadheads.) Plugging in efficiencies from 75 to 85%, I'm falling in the 50-53 ft/lb range at 20 yds. I'm guessing that's plenty, even if the efficiency is lower. How do you determine efficiency?

Threebeards

This F.O.C. thing has me confused. Is it more important than kinetic energy?? By my calculations I'm getting 60-62 for the kinetic energy and then i turn around and have 6%-11% F.O.C. depending on broadhead weight. My arrows fly absolutely perfectly no matter what grain field tip I use and i'm shooting very good groups up to 60 yards. I dunno, before I started learning about all this technical crap I felt more confident in my set up. i feel as if i can't see the forest for all the trees!!
busted.gif

I think that Old Buck needed that clinometer & a back-up slide rule when that rhino was looking at him. Clinometers still have the extra compartment for TP don't they?

Top Bottom