Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

LATE FALL FOOD PLOTS

kstur

PMA Member
THE FARMERS IN MY AREA HAVE STARTED HARVESTING THE CROPS.THE FARM I HUNT ON SHOULD BE DONE IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS.THE FARMER USUALLY TURNS EVERYTHING UNDER AND THERE IS LITTLE LEFT FOR THE DEER TO EAT.I WAS THINKING ABOUT TRYING TO PLANT SOMETHING IN THE BEAN GROUND AFTER IT HAS BEEN DISCED UP.JUST TWO OR THREE SMALL PLOTS.I WOULD THINK I COULD JUST BROADCAST SOMETHING AND THEN DRAG IT.ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT I COULD PLANT THAT LATE.I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE IN FOOD PLOTS SO ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

You're running into the perfect time to plant a rye plot. I think I've seen it recommended to plant as late as mid September. The deer like the tender new growth, so it'd be perfect for a kill plot. I'm not sure brassicas are an option this late in the year. I think you need about 45 days of growing season for those. rye and maybe oats would be my choice...

[ QUOTE ]
You're running into the perfect time to plant a rye plot.
waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I am looking at broadcasting some rye in a couple of my food plots this weekend also.

[ QUOTE ]
rye and maybe oats would be my choice...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep...cheap and easy. Scratch it up a bit if possible and then cover same way and you have a quick easy fall food plot!
waytogo.gif

I broadcast rye right into standing beans along the woods last year and with timely rain they grew very well. DIdn't do anything to the soil, but I did seed it pretty darn heavy.

[ QUOTE ]
I broadcast rye right into standing beans along the woods last year and with timely rain they grew very well. DIdn't do anything to the soil, but I did seed it pretty darn heavy.

[/ QUOTE ] I did the same thing and it kinda worked out, the beans were just a little too late coming out. I would just time it a few days before the farmer combines.

Top Bottom