Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late Muzzleloader Tactics

Mandity

I was curious at to what alot of you fellow Iowa hunters tactics were for the lets say first 5 days of late muzzy were. Especially after the last 3 weeks of shotgun. This is my first year hunting with a muzzy. Usually go shotgun but couldnt do to work. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks and good luck to you.

I usually give a break for a few days and let them move back into the timber. Maybe do some glassing to see where they are moving. Some snow would help get them on their feet and out in the picked fields.

Mobile Cooter using IW

I do the same as cooter. Give them a few days to call down and establish a pattern. I spend most of this week glassing in the evenings. Warm temps and no snow will make it tougher than the last few years.

It really depends on the property. If you have untouched property the deer are acting normal for the most part. If you had a 20 man drive through it yesterday I would probably wait a few days.

Find a buck on a pattern first. Gain permission. Go Kill.

I spend most of the late season behind binos. I have a feeling this year I will not be killing a deer.

Without snow, it may be a bit more difficult to "see" a good buck on a food source. I usually spend a lot of time glassing from the truck until I find what I want, but this year will be different.

I'm letting my cams due the scouting right now on food sources and I will be hunting my bow stands in the timber until we get bad weather. The deer will be in thick bedding areas right now and will still be picking through the acorns on the oak ridges. My strategy will be to hunt them like I would during bow season until we get the weather that forces them to the food. :way:

I'm letting my cams due the scouting right now on food sources and I will be hunting my bow stands in the timber until we get bad weather. The deer will be in thick bedding areas right now and will still be picking through the acorns on the oak ridges. My strategy will be to hunt them like I would during bow season until we get the weather that forces them to the food. :way:

Have my cams on the food sources right now. I put them back up on the food sources yesterday and Saturday.

Have to find one feeding at some time. As soon as I find one wait for the right wind and weather related front to get them on their feet.

I really think it will be hard to find one in 30 - 40 degree temps this time of year. The old boys will stay hunkered down for sometime IMO.

Good Luck

I had a buddy hunting this weekend so I tagged along to watch. We saw a few good bucks and everyone was either bumping or checking does/fawns. The does/fawns & small bucks were hitting the food plots but not until the last half hour. Saturday night it was corn and Sunday night it was beans. Heck if I know what the difference was??

We need COLD!!!

I agree with everybody. I usually wait at least a week. Then pray for cold and snow. They will group up better and concentrate on food sources. Then you will start seeing them fairly early in the afternoon feeding. Mornings have always been horrible for me.

I don't see any reason to wait a week. It all depends on the property and weather. The property I hunt there has been little pressure on it and 3 surrounding properties. The does are already on a predictable pattern and have been since last weekend. If the weather would change and bring some frigid temps and/or snow it would be great. Last year even as the orange army was pushing one of the properties bordering mine the deer were flooding to my food plots at 2:30-3:00. This was during second season and we had a ton of snow. Bring those conditions and deer become very predictable even if the army is still out. They just hit unpressured and secluded food sources.

I will only be hunting evenings and will be on my food sources. The mornings are just so unpredictable and have been more trouble than good.

I don't have infinite nights of late ML to hunt SO... I am gonna be flexible and hunt when it's super cold and/or snow. Like tomorrow we'll have snow, I'll give er a whirl then and try some food. No am's for me BUT again, I have to pick best times & let others slide with time limitations. I know hunting when it's 40-50 has been a waste for me, for the most part- just went out a couple times to get away BUT fairly worthless. If a guy can get some flexibility and make darn sure you are out if you see 15 degrees and 8" of snow on the ground- that's the time to make sure you're out!

Stalking bedding areas from downwind is my typical tactic. They are alot harder to spot so some snow would help out alot! Since we dont have snow, a morning hunt over a isolated water source would be excellent

My strategy will be to hunt them like I would during bow season until we get the weather that forces them to the food. :way:

Dedgeez,

I have been thinking about this and what to do if we do not get cold temps and snow in time.

Why would the big boys need to get up before night? They do not need to eat because of the warm temps. IMO they could possibly bed there most of the day and not even move a muscle and feed under the cloak of darkness.

Now if a hot doe comes through all bets are off.

Dedgeez,

I have been thinking about this and what to do if we do not get cold temps and snow in time.

Why would the big boys need to get up before night? They do not need to eat because of the warm temps. IMO they could possibly bed there most of the day and not even move a muscle and feed under the cloak of darkness.

Now if a hot doe comes through all bets are off.

Risto,

My reasoning is that this time of year snow or no snow the big boys will be on their feet in the daylight, it just may not be in the open and it may be the last 1/2 hour.. They need to feed to replenish body mass and pack on the fat before we do get the brutal weather.

Here is my reasoning for hunting in the timber between bedding and my food plots. When we have snow cover it often times eliminates them from browsing grass and acorns and they will make their way quickly to the beans. When conditions are like they are now, the deer (in my experience) will slowly make their way to the fields picking their way along. This will often cause the mature deer (does or bucks) to come on the fields at last daylight. A lot of guys think that if they don't see the deer until last light that they are moving late. That is not always the case. Often times they are on their feet earlier and just mill around in the timber browsing and picking their way along. I relate it almost to hunting staging areas in October, where you hunt a couple of hundred yards inside the timber to catch the deer before they get to the fields at last light.

I know this isn't the ideal late season weather, but it is still cold enough to make the deer move. They know what is ahead and IMO they are going to be feeding hard and taking advantage of the availability of food before the snow comes. I love that we are having a mild winter thus far, and I think it will really help them to make it through the next few months. I scouted one of my bean plots last night and the does were filing in about 4:30. I'm not going to hunt directly on my plots until I see earlier movement. With that said, I would be willing to bet that all of those deer were on their feet by 3 or shortly after though. It's definitely tough, but I am willing to sacrifice seeing high numbers of deer for a chance to see the right deer by sitting in the woods. :way:

One more important factor is being able to get out of your stand without having to walk by the destination feed fields. If you spook the deer off the food on your way out, than IMO it's not worth going in the timber. I guess when it comes down to it, each individual has to hunt the way that they feel they will have the most success. For me that is being able to adapt to different conditions and have stands that will allow me to hunt different ways if need be. I'm only targeting 2 or 3 different bucks so my chances are already low, but you have to hunt when you can, and we only get so many days.

From what I have seen since Monday, deer movement is starting to pick up and I think it will only continue to get better.

Risto,

My reasoning is that this time of year snow or no snow the big boys will be on their feet in the daylight, it just may not be in the open and it may be the last 1/2 hour.. They need to feed to replenish body mass and pack on the fat before we do get the brutal weather.

Here is my reasoning for hunting in the timber between bedding and my food plots. When we have snow cover it often times eliminates them from browsing grass and acorns and they will make their way quickly to the beans. When conditions are like they are now, the deer (in my experience) will slowly make their way to the fields picking their way along. This will often cause the mature deer (does or bucks) to come on the fields at last daylight. A lot of guys think that if they don't see the deer until last light that they are moving late. That is not always the case. Often times they are on their feet earlier and just mill around in the timber browsing and picking their way along. I relate it almost to hunting staging areas in October, where you hunt a couple of hundred yards inside the timber to catch the deer before they get to the fields at last light.

I know this isn't the ideal late season weather, but it is still cold enough to make the deer move. They know what is ahead and IMO they are going to be feeding hard and taking advantage of the availability of food before the snow comes. I love that we are having a mild winter thus far, and I think it will really help them to make it through the next few months. I scouted one of my bean plots last night and the does were filing in about 4:30. I'm not going to hunt directly on my plots until I see earlier movement. With that said, I would be willing to bet that all of those deer were on their feet by 3 or shortly after though. It's definitely tough, but I am willing to sacrifice seeing high numbers of deer for a chance to see the right deer by sitting in the woods. :way:

One more important factor is being able to get out of your stand without having to walk by the destination feed fields. If you spook the deer off the food on your way out, than IMO it's not worth going in the timber. I guess when it comes down to it, each individual has to hunt the way that they feel they will have the most success. For me that is being able to adapt to different conditions and have stands that will allow me to hunt different ways if need be. I'm only targeting 2 or 3 different bucks so my chances are already low, but you have to hunt when you can, and we only get so many days.

From what I have seen since Monday, deer movement is starting to pick up and I think it will only continue to get better.

Makes sense.

Thank you for your response and Good Luck.

Bucks will still need to hit the food! They are run down from the rut!

Derek,

Not disputing that but I am thinking that they will do most
of that under the cloak of darkness since they are not burning any calories with this warm weather.
I agree they are run down from the rut but I am sure they have been working on the feed sack for the last couple of weeks. JMHO

Top Bottom