Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late Planting

smokepole

I planted about a 1/4 acre foodplot on 9/1, which was a mix of forage turnips, rape and brassicas. Upon checking the area today (9/13), it looks like it has germinated and the plants look like small clover coming up. My question is, will it grow enough to be a hunting plot early and late season? I had intended on getting it in a couple of weeks earlier, but the weather was not cooperating.

[ QUOTE ]
I planted about a 1/4 acre foodplot on 9/1, which was a mix of forage turnips, rape and brassicas. Upon checking the area today (9/13), it looks like it has germinated and the plants look like small clover coming up. My question is, will it grow enough to be a hunting plot early and late season? I had intended on getting it in a couple of weeks earlier, but the weather was not cooperating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brassicas planted that late will be pretty small..they need 60-90 days. Late July to mid August is best planting time.

Here's a pic of some I planted with rye first of Sept. last year...never amounted to anything...

RyepeasandbrassicasplantedSept.jpg

You still have time to throw in a little rye. I planted mine last week and it is 4-5" tall. It will be ready for deer season.

[ QUOTE ]
So is antlerking full of it when they say 45 days before the first "hard" frost?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO 45 days isn't quite enough but you may have better luck. If the weather holds out and frost is late in coming...you may end up with a great plot.

As noted you can broadcast some rye into the brassicas just ahead of a rain. Time is running out for good growth on that as well so do it soon.

I hate to hy-jack but I have just completed the rough stages of my dirt work around our new home. I have disked and harrowed but some hard clay clods remain so I think it may be best to wait until spring to plant my grass when the dirt has settled some. Would rye or oats be a the cheapest cover crop for me to use this fall to help with erosion? I want to plant something to help hold the soil that I can just work back under in the spring before my grass planting. The deer sometimes come up there so i guess it could count as a food plot to. Any tips much appreciated.

I would use oats or spring rye, both will be dead in the spring. I would plant soon so they have a chance to grow. I don't know anything cheaper than rye.

Must have been lucky with the weather this year (temps and rain fall). I checked the plots I planted on 9/1 and all the plants are fully mature. The turnips are almost as big as my fist.

We have had some ideal growing conditions for sure. Sounds like your plot is doing great! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I'd always go earlier with that mix- this year there were parts of the state that had fantasy growing conditions. Glad you had some of that weather.

I really lucked out with my plot. Planted Rye grass and clover the third weekend in Sept. Perfect for the Rye, way to late for clover in my opinion, but the landowner had it sittin around and said it was goin in. It has matured enough now that it will be alright.

Top Bottom