Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late season success.....FINALLY!!!!!!

muddy

I hate to toot my own horn but last night I shot the best whitetail of my life with my muzzleloader. Have had ZERO success this late season until...

Had been patterning 2 bucks in an old cow pasture for about a week or so. Got sat down around 2:30 just to be on the safe side. Was cold by 3:00. =) at 4:30 2 does came into the field followed by a good buck, the stupid does saw me sitting against a tree stump and took off, the buck was a little over 100 yards off and quartering away. I put the scope on him and held off due to the little bit of brush obstructing the vitals. I was sick, it was starting to shut down for the night when I remembered there are 2 bucks up here, I'll wait the last hour of season instead of starting the 1 1/2 mile hike out. at 4:50 3 does showed up in the same place and they were looking over their shoulders the whole time. A little after that he stepped out and followed the does into the field. At about 60 yards they smelled me or something cuz the does started blowing and running away, I said a short prayer in hopes of a shot and he stopped and looked back...big mistake. I put the crosshairs on him and the smoke flew. I got up and he was laying where he stood! Now if you can imagine this...I wear boot blankets and about every imaginable insulated clothing to keep warm so I looked like the Michellin man running a 100 yard dash with my gun in one arm and my fanny pack in the other. Of course the pockets were open in my fanny pack so there was a trail of equipment from my stand to the deer. Can you tell I was excited?

He's not a monster in some peoples eyes but he'll do. He'll dress about 180, is 17 inch inside spread, would have 10 points but his browtines and G2's are broken off pretty good. His G3's are both around 10 inches long. On his right main beam he has an "acorn" growth that's about the size of a good sized walnut. It is actually a drop tine broken off and it's hollowed out like a raquetball cut in half and there's a 1/2 hole right in through it. My own hole in the horn buck! Whoo Hoo

Sorry for the long post but when you set a personal best you gotta do something! =)

MW

Great story and great deer.I always try to remember to measure the RUSH and not the size off the deer.From the sounds of it,the doctor couldn't have given a better drug to satisfy the rush you had.

Congrats, would love to see a picture. I was planning on doing a little bowhunting but it has been too damn cold out with the wind lately. I need to suck it up.

congrats muddy, glad you sucked it up and stayed with it , its these late season stories we love to hear about, pretty soon the stories will be of a feathered kind, gobble,gobble.....hope you can show us a pic of your deer..HAPPY NEW YEAR.....J.B.

Congratulation's Muddy.I guess that's why we tough it out in the cold.I have been bowhunting the last week and have not seen any big boy's yet but I have seen plenty of doe's.Anyway good going and post a pic if ya have one,would love to see'em!!!!

[This message has been edited by Buckhunter (edited 12-30-2001).]

Congratulations! My philosophy is the harder you work at something the 'luckier' you get. Sounds like you earned that one and that makes it mean all the more.

Top Bottom