Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late Season

It sound's like cold weather is on the way!I'm going out to try to fill my bow tag next week and it sound's like it's going to be in the 20's for high's.I will focus on food and hope for the best.
Good luck to all of you,
Buckhunter

All

I havn't heard of anything happening in the past week. I just got to sit for the first time tonite since I shot my buck with the bow back in November. It was cold and I didn't see squat but I think I enjoyed it more than any hunt this year. Getting out is just plain nice, especially when the cooler temperatures finally get here! My toes and fingies were cold and I actually liked it!!

Good luck to all you late muzzleloaders!

MW

Went out this morning for a bit. Figured with the wind howling and being damp I could sneak up on something.

Did not see much, but I was not out long, it started raining pretty good and being made out of sugar I was afraid I would melt so packed it back in
smile.gif

Will try again later today or tomorrow. It was good just to get out and walk around, we have it made here in Iowa.

Good Luck everyone and Merry Christmas.

I went out this morning and saw one respectable buck with a small one but couldn't get a shot. Put a stand up on the ridge this afternoon and danced with the tree for a couple hours tonight.
smile.gif
Man that wind is fierce! Maybe tomorrow morning.

i was out yesterday afternoon, and was pleased to see fresh tracks from a very large buck which obviously had made it through shotgun season. Seen several does moving well before it got dark, hopefully i will be out Christmas afternoon. Good luck to all, and Merry Christmas

I've gone on stand a couple times and seen very little, but the brisk air actually is a welcome change (I'll probably be tired of it before Jan 10th though). I have not seen any of the 3 bucks I had been watching most of bow season, and I've only seen 4 does/yearlings. One of these 4 had a serious infection/growth in her lower brisket area and was puffed up like a swollen tick. I was suprised how alert she looked and how well she was able to get around, I wonder if she'll make it.

IaCraig

The snow and cold have done wonders here in Jackson county, the deer are on the move. My buddy and I have passed numerous does and several smaller bucks in the past few days. Hopefully this weather'll continue and next weekend we'll have more snow and a little less wind. It seems the wind put the deer back into the thicker timber areas for us, during shotgun season deer were everywhere.

MW

Glad to see I'm not the only loose nut on the wheel. It is very challenging out there.

Something is up where I am at, as I seen another very nice buck this morning moving well after daylight(08:00). Came in to the ditch I was hiding from the wind in and stood right in front of me at 50 yards. Appeared to me he was looking for some doe type company with little regard for his safety. After sniffing around a bit he moved on down the ditch.

Had plenty of time to view him up close thru the scope on my MK-85.

Of course I have an antlerless tag. He was a real nice typical 8 point that had long tines and some decent mass. Standard #200 body, guess the spread to be 18-19". Good breeding stock......Made it worth freezing my Bun-Saver off
smile.gif

Got great video footage filling my late muzzleloader anterless tag. Our soybean foodplot was full of deer both nights I was out, but it took a couple of tries to get a big doe in the right position to film well. In cold/snowy weather the deer really seem to love the soybeans!

I was out for the first time this afternoon and by the time I called it quits I counted 46 deer! I can not believe it! The place that I hunt has not been touched since Oct. Need to change my setup tomorrow and we'll see what happens!

Top Bottom