Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Leaf River

203ntyp

PMA Member
Any one ever use a Leaf River trail camera? I was checking out the digital & it looks like it has some nice features? Price - $265.00.

Ive always thought their stuff looked like a decent product. Not sure what megapixil camera their using. Its probably 1.3. If thats the case, id stay away. I guess ive been spoiled with the 4.0 megapixil units ive been using.
grin.gif

One of my friend has one of those leaf river cameras and he loves it. He has the one with the LCD screen in it and that makes it real convient. I've played with it and it seems like a decent camera for what you pay for it.

Here are the specs on the Leaf River camera. Vman, do your digitals use flash cards or a scan disk? I have a 512 mg SD card for my home digital & I want to get a digital that uses the same card.

Fast and easy to use. Just set the camera out and swap the flash card after a few days. Pop the flash card into your flash card viewer or plug the camera straight into your computer and you get images without waiting at the photo developer. You can even use an optional SanDisk Digital Photo Viewer to display your pics on your TV, great for family and friends to see wildlife on the big screen.

Features:

Camera: Digital camera gives you instant picture display on a 1.6" LCD screen. The display screen has a 1X to 4X digital zoom and gives you the option to delete unwanted pictures immediately. Select low, medium or high resolution settings: low is 1.3 megapixel, medium is 2.1 megapixel and high gives you a possible 4-megapixel resolution with the use of software interpolation
Camera Storage Media: Internal 16 Mb memory stores up to 50 still pictures, and you can even choose to record three or 90-second video clips. Memory full icon. Optional removable Compact Flash (CF) Cards to store pics. System will support CF card capacity up to 3 GB. Number of pics depends on card capacity. A 256MB card can store over 200 high resolution pics. Camera DOES NOT include Compact Flash card. 128MB, 256MG and 512MB Compact Flash cards available in the store here
Independent Camera Use: No, you cannot take the camera out of the unit to use
Camera Exposure: -1.5EV to +1.5EV and is user adjustable
Camera White Balance: 5 settings of Daylight, Horizon, A Light, Office and Old Picture
Camera Wakeup Delay: 3 to 5 seconds
Outputs: TV Out connection port for viewing pictures on a TV. RCA connectors to TV
Camera Flash: Oversized flash for increased nighttime range. Flash range is 30 feet. Forced flash option if you want flash during daytime to fill in shadows
Manual picture mode: Use this to take a test pic to see what your camera sees. 10 second self timer for manual picture.
Self Picture Mode: Yes
Power Requirements: Uses 4 "D" and 3 "C" cell alkaline or rechargeable batteries
Battery Condition Indicator: Yes, 2 battery-strength icons to view battery condition of camera and sensor
Battery Life: Approximately 2 months.
Data Imprinted On Picture: Yes, day and time
Operation Settings: Choice of Day, Night or 24 hour operation
External Picture Count Observation Window: No.
Picture Delay: Can be set to take one, two or three pictures before entering adjustable pause setting (1-90 minutes). 8 Pause settings of 1, 3, 5, 10, 20, 30, 60 and 90 minutes
Event Counter: Yes, records date and time of 400 events
Detection Method: Passive infrared motion detector which is designed to detect heat in motion within a conical area. Generally speaking, the cooler the air the greater the detection distance (this characteristic is true for all passive/motion sensors).
Sensor Sensitivity: Infrared motion-detection system has a sensitivity adjustment to adjust sensor range
Waterproof: Yes, gasket sealed housing
Case: ABS plastic
Walk Test Light: Walk test LED light for set up
Display: Backlighted viewing and control display to help you see at night when setting up cam
Lock or Antitheft Capability: Steel mounting bracket and steel bar for mounting and securing the unit. User must supply locks and cable.
Sound Insulation: Not needed for digital cameras
On/Off Switch: External On/Off rocker switch
Camo: Mossy Oak Break-Up Camo
Temp range: -20 Deg. C (-4 Deg. F) to 60 Deg. C (140 Deg. F)
Size: 6 1/4" w x 7 1/2" h x 4 3/4" d
Weight: 4 lbs. 1 oz. with batteries and lock bar
Includes: USB cable for computer compatibility, RCA cable, green mounting strap, user manual and picture-editing CD-ROM software.
Warranty: 1 year parts and labor limited warranty

I have had one since last Oct. I originally had the version with the LCD screen but it would not keep the proper time and date. I swapped it for a new one but opted for the cheaper unit as the LCD screen is very small and I didnt find it to be of much value. I am pretty happy with this one and it takes decent pics, 2.1mp I believe.
It is not overly fast when taking night pics but I have had no problems when using it on scrapes, fence or creek crossings, anywhere that a deer would pause for a moment. Otherwise I just aim it down the trail to give the cam a head start.
My favorite feature is the unreal battery life. I dont know if this is typical but I have probably around 1500-2000 pics on it and have still not changed the "D" cell batteries and only changed the "C" cells once. With a 256mb card I had over 440 pics on it this past March.
It has a fairly good locking system too, I use a Python cable lock.
I wish I had the time and skills for a good Sony homebrew like Vmans cams though. That 4mp would be nice.

[ QUOTE ]
Vman, do your digitals use flash cards or a scan disk? I have a 512 mg SD card for my home digital & I want to get a digital that uses the same card.

[/ QUOTE ]

The new samsungs use a SD card, the sony's have there own cards.

Ill have some test photos of the new samsung units soon. Come on Rudd come thru for us!
grin.gif

The camera is a 2.1mp when set on med settings. But you can get the interpolation up to 4mp when the cam is set on high quality & high resolution. I'm not sure I fully understand what that means. Maybe Vman can shed some light on that.

The battery life is amazing. They a very long time.

-mike

Top Bottom