Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

License question

kelcher

Can anyone explain to me why the DNR will not let you buy a bow only license and then a shotgun/bow license for 4th season only? I would like to try bow hunting with the extra benefit of getting the extra time and then if I get too frustrated I could switch to shotgun during 4th season.

Don't get me fired up I have been asking that for five years now. There is no reasonable explaination anyone can give me. I have been in contact with the DNR in Des Moines via letters and telephone and they make no sense when you ask them about it... There are few things that get me as fired up as this topic.

Good Luck. Let me know what you find out for me it was a excersize in frustration. The quota argument didn't work with me either because there wasn't a quota on 4th gun/bow anyway. Now there are no quotas for zone 4 in any season. It just doesn't make any sense at all. I will post the response I got from the DNR tomorrow it is on a different computer. It made no sense at all none of my points were addressed. I believe, can't recall for sure but, "the archery turkey season was set up for the purist archer" was one of the points made by them. I damn near fell out of my chair on that one. I also believe that crowding was an issue and I explained to them that by not giving me a gun/bow combo for fourth I am going to spend more time in the woods. It is clear as long as we make no noise there is not going to be anything done about it.

Blind Sow,
If you are reading this could you post an address that I can send another letter to. I am fired up again.

Everyone else that reads this please let me know how you feel, I apparently need to be enlightened (wouldn't be the first time
wstupid.gif
). I just can't see any reason that an individual shouldn't have the opportunity to have an archery only and a 4th season gun/bow. If you agree would you be willing to write a letter and send it to me so I can send all of them together...

I may be way off base on this one. Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Maybe I'll make some calls and see what they tell me. I can't think of any reason for limiting us like that especially when there are "no quotas" anyway.

Limb,

While not specific to turkeys, a few years back I asked a similar question to a DNR official at a public meeting on seasons. My question was this: If I can legally purchase both a bow and shotgun deer tag, why can't I buy two bow tags and no shotgun tag? The reply I got was very confusing. He basically said "Because then we'd have to let all shotgun hunters have an extra tag too." He somehow didn't seem to understand that it wasn't really an extra tag...just in a different season. I agree with you on this one...if you need someone else to write a letter let me know. Maybe if they hear it enough times something will change.

NWBuck

You can buy a gun license and hunt with your bow if you want, switch back to gun if you get frustrated.

From what I remember, you can hunt longer on a bow license than with a gun license--at least I think that's why I got bow licenses last year when couldn't hunt much in any one of the early gun seasons--don't have as many active brain cells as I used to, and no Turkey
Regulations at hand to look it up. As a result, if allowed "mixed" licenses there's probably a way to "beat the system".

At the least, people like me would get a bow license for the first 3 seasons (bow will allow hunting in all 3), and then gun in the fourth. Wanted to do that last year, same as you do. Suppose that would put more hunters in the field, reduce quality of hunt with more people tripping over eachother. Can't really think of any harvest concerns for the current rules, at least. Still two birds max/hunter, and bow/gun would be far less likely to take two than gun/gun.

Top Bottom