Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Living “off grid” - solar panel updates & water ideas??

I have no insight into how much it would cost to drill and setup a well. It depends on how deep they would need to drill, how much GPM you need to have, and if your county even allows new wells to be drilled, etc. You're going to have to run your well water through a treatment system anyway, so if you have nearby pond, I'd research pulling your water out of it instead. Collecting rainwater in a cistern may be something to research as well. No matter what you do, you'll want to put thorough research in before starting.

So here's a bit of bigger picture for me.
There was, maybe still is i don't know but at tax credit of 26%.

1 More big part is I won't b raising hogs for ever when that day happens we probably won't have much of, if any of a power bill.

I know this isn't totally "living off the grid" like skip started the topic off with, but it works for me.

I have no insight into how much it would cost to drill and setup a well. It depends on how deep they would need to drill, how much GPM you need to have, and if your county even allows new wells to be drilled, etc. You're going to have to run your well water through a treatment system anyway, so if you have nearby pond, I'd research pulling your water out of it instead. Collecting rainwater in a cistern may be something to research as well. No matter what you do, you'll want to put thorough research in before starting.
What would be the reason for the water treatment system? I've had some wells, and have been around several others. I've not heard of any with a treatment system.

What would be the reason for the water treatment system? I've had some wells, and have been around several others. I've not heard of any with a treatment system.
Do you drink water directly out of Iowa wells or Iowa ponds, without running the water through a chlorination or filtration system/process first?

I occasionally drank directly from my family farm well as a kid and not only did it taste like a rusty nail had sex with dirty old penny, it usually gave me the trots for a few days too. And that was a pretty deep well. I wouldn't even consider drinking water directly out of my current home shallow well. I've been down in the pump house a few times replacing pumps. It's disgusting.

I'd consider using my raw well water for pretty much anything other than drinking, but washed cloths would stink and turn dingy quickly, and dishes wouldn't get the cleanest either. We tend to use it for filling up the swimming pool, running a sprinkler, and watering the garden.

Do you drink water directly out of Iowa wells or Iowa ponds, without running the water through a chlorination or filtration system/process first?

I occasionally drank directly from my family farm well as a kid and not only did it taste like a rusty nail had sex with dirty old penny, it usually gave me the trots for a few days too. And that was a pretty deep well. I wouldn't even consider drinking water directly out of my current home shallow well. I've been down in the pump house a few times replacing pumps. It's disgusting.

I'd consider using my raw well water for pretty much anything other than drinking, but washed cloths would stink and turn dingy quickly, and dishes wouldn't get the cleanest either. We tend to use it for filling up the swimming pool, running a sprinkler, and watering the garden.
I drink the well water at my cabin all the time. My last home had a well and I drank that regularly too. No issues at all. These are drilled wells.

My entire neighborhood is drinking straight from wells. We test the water yearly. Had to shock it once because something started registering. My parents have been on a well my entire life also.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

I've been pretty disappointed with our solar panels so far. They were installed in the fall of '18, and we bought the place in Dec. 2019. The derecho took them offline for 10 days since Alliant supplies our house and was down. The summer of '21 the north inverter quit so the system was offline again. The south inverter quit last summer. It took 6 and 8 weeks respectively to get new inverters installed. Luckily everything has been under warranty, but we've lost peak production days every summer we've been here.

If I remember right the panels were $60k, and the batteries would have been another $40-$60k.

My entire neighborhood is drinking straight from wells. We test the water yearly. Had to shock it once because something started registering. My parents have been on a well my entire life also.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

We are on well water, too. Where do you get it tested?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm jealous if you're drinking clean untreated water directly from your well. That's not something I'd gamble with, here anyway.

Sorry to hear you've had a bad few years experience with solar panels 2.5yr. Hopefully in the long run it improves for you.

I'm jealous if you're drinking clean untreated water directly from your well. That's not something I'd gamble with, here anyway.

Sorry to hear you've had a bad few years experience with solar panels 2.5yr. Hopefully in the long run it improves for you.
The county tests ours yearly for free- we have one of the best wells in the county and drink it non stop

IYou're going to have to run your well water through a treatment system anyway, so if you have nearby pond, I'd research pulling your water out of it instead.
It is def not normal practice for people on wells to have a treatment system. New wells in Iowa tend to be very deep. Guy I did work for was having a well put in while I was there. They went somthing like 800' deep.

When I first moved to Iowa the whole concept of rural water was mind blowing. Where I came from there was no such thing. If you didn't live in a town/city, you were on a well. That's ALOT of wells.

Last edited:
Heating with solar is possible, but it might require a significant capacity upgrade, depending on your location and climate. It's worth discussing with a solar expert to find the best solution for your needs.
I found some useful tips from solar panel installers that could be handy. They might offer insights specific to your region.
Drilling a well depends on factors like depth and location. Costs can vary widely, so it's a good idea to get quotes from local well-drilling companies. Having your own water source is a big step towards self-sufficiency.
Anyway, your plan to grow your own food sounds fantastic! It's great to have that self-reliance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom