Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Loss of hunting grounds

River1

Yes, It will come up again. It's new name is SF-18. It is in the Senate's Natural Resource Committee at this time. There was an article in my local newspaper last week which stated the urgent push by insurance companies for our deer numbers to be reduced. This along with the $$$'s our legislators' will see, will surely make the bill appealing to them. This form of bill will undoubtably be introduced for years to come. Here is the link to the Legislature.

No voice, no choice!

http://www2.legis.state.ia.us/

Thank you River Bottom Boy... I was trying to find that info... I wish we could do more than just rag the senators over this. Maybe a pitition at the whitetail extravaganza or something.....

Will you still hunt when you pay daily for the location? How much land is now leased and no longer available to the average hunter? How many thousand deer and turkey tags do they want to give to out-fitters and bed and breakfast locations just so they can bring in more business? Then how much more land can they afford to lease and take out of circulation.It can only go so far then everyone that does not own land will pay just to hunt.
A bill was stopped at the capitol last year. Will it come up again?

Guys,

Of course it is all about money. And it is not a fair world we live in. Bill Gates should not have more money than me.

Who among you does not pay more now for anything you do than what your father did? Would he have EVER considered $200 a throw for a couple of hours of Elton John? Most of us have been in an establishment where they ask $5.00 for a damn bottle of adult beverage.

Do you have testicles enough to suggest that your landowner should not be entitled to charge or do with his property whatever he damn well pleases?

Got ya angry yet?

Those of you bemoaning what is going on in the hunting world damn well better get involved in INCREASING the funding for public use areas of all kinds in this state. If you do not, you are part of the problem if not the major part of the problem. BEG for an increase in your license fees. Better yet, get involved in the political process and CHANGE the funding for outdoor activities to a sales tax or something like Missouri funds there programs with. We HAVE to dramaticlly increase the public land available in this state and it is up to those of us who are concerned about loss of our "honey hole" to it being leased to get it done. ALL of the Loess Hill area is a damn good place to start.

SIDEBAR: Last Wednesday I sat in on an influential group of people meeting at the IDNR discussing these issues. On
madgo_ron.gif
e of the people attending is in the outfitting business in Iowa. He is an Iowa native and resident. He told me that in the area he hunts and manages for "TROPHY" deer, there were 100 does harvested and NO immature bucks were shot. The Iowa Bow Hunters Association have been crying for years that the leased ground will not manage the deer numbers. "No nonresidents will come to Iowa and pay the license fee to hunt deer " therefor the deer numbers will escalate and there will be more deer number problems". Heard that BS before? Smart Iowa bowhunters are doing what it takes to hunt adjacent lands. The quality will go through the roof when these lands are NOT hunted by the local brown is down bunch.

Guys,

Of course it is all about money. And it is not a fair world we live in. Bill Gates should not have more money than me.

Who among you does not pay more now for anything you do than what your father did? Would he have EVER considered $200 a throw for a couple of hours of Elton John? Most of us have been in an establishment where they ask $5.00 for a damn bottle of adult beverage.

Do you have testicles enough to suggest that your landowner should not be entitled to charge or do with his property whatever he damn well pleases?

Got ya angry yet?

Those of you bemoaning what is going on in the hunting world damn well better get involved in INCREASING the funding for public use areas of all kinds in this state. If you do not, you are part of the problem if not the major part of the problem. BEG for an increase in your license fees. Better yet, get involved in the political process and CHANGE the funding for outdoor activities to a sales tax or something like Missouri funds there programs with. We HAVE to dramaticlly increase the public land available in this state and it is up to those of us who are concerned about loss of our "honey hole" to it being leased to get it done. ALL of the Loess Hill area is a damn good place to start.

SIDEBAR: Last Wednesday I sat in on an influential group of people meeting at the IDNR discussing these issues. On
madgo_ron.gif
e of the people attending is in the outfitting business in Iowa. He is an Iowa native and resident. He told me that in the area he hunts and manages for "TROPHY" deer, there were 100 does harvested and NO immature bucks were shot. The Iowa Bow Hunters Association have been crying for years that the leased ground will not manage the deer numbers. "No nonresidents will come to Iowa and pay the license fee to hunt deer " therefor the deer numbers will escalate and there will be more deer number problems". Heard that BS before? Smart Iowa bowhunters are doing what it takes to hunt adjacent lands. The quality will go through the roof when these lands are NOT hunted by the local brown is down bunch.

Well said hunt iowa.

I have watched more land lost to hunting from the nature of the locals to trespass and 'the friend of a friend of a friend' coming in to hunt than any other reason, not to mention urban sprawl. Case in point: Just last year 600 incredible acres - which was previously hunted - is off limits to everyone because of the 'friend of a friend of a friend' and other trespassers.

Hunters who lease are tired of the 'if it's brown it's down' hunting and will not just shoot deer, they will manage them. I applaud them. They are the true conservationists.

We still harvest way more does on our hunting ground than ALL of my neighboring landowners put together - and we don't harvest small bucks but some of the neighbors do. And then they complain that there are too many deer. Huh?

Ever heard the economic statement "There is no such thing as a free lunch"? Somebody has to pay for it. Every time you hunt for free the farmer is "paying" for your priviledge by feeding and providing habitat for the game.

Whoa guys- this post started out about extra tags all about money for bed & breakfast inns and outfitters. If it is all about money it wouldn't take long to mess things up. Give transfer landowner tags & let them auction them off. Why let the money flow only into the hands of the few? Money makes the world go round, just use the profits for the good of all. Purchase more public land.
Bill Gates has the cash because he had the idea. Doesn't mean he should be able to buy Iowa & have a tag every year unless he moves here. Land can still be had in Iowa for less than the cost of the new truck, 4 wheeler, & "must have" stuff we all seem to need. OK time for my medication.

"Will you still hunt when you pay daily for the location?"

Everyone who hunts pays directly or indirectly. Chances are you paid for the weapon and ammo of your choice. You most likely paid for the vehicle you drive, along with the gas to get you to and from where you hunt. You paid for the license to give you an opportunity to hunt.

I think the real question should be: "If it comes down to it, would you rather pay (either leasing or buying your own land) to have quality hunting, or would you rather take your chances hunting public lands where competition will most likely be a bit stiff." Maintaining the current status quo where most people can readily gain access to the very best private lands free of charge is rapidly disappearing and most likely will not be a real option in the not so distant future. Hunting opportunities for those unable or unwilling to buy or lease will still be there, but the quality of the experience will most likely be diminished.

Top Bottom