Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Lost and found (outdoorlife)

Dbl.throat_patch

dbl.throat_patch
I was wondering if any of you out there have read this article in the sept. issue of Outdoorlife mag.
Living and hunting in Iowa my whole life I was under the assumption(correct me if I'm wrong) that, if you are in pursuit of wounded game, you do not need permission to go on to private property. As long as you do not carry a weapon. In this article the hunter shoots a 240 class buck and tracks it to someone elses property. Tries to get permission and is refused. this guy calls the local sharrif and explains his situation. And still does not get the ok to trake his wounded game. the next day he call the locale dnr and still is not told it is legal for him to go ahead and pursue his buck. Now if you go ahead and read this article, I think you will feel the same as I do, that this guy got screwed by the sherif and the dnr(no offence blind sow and trpr) if they would have told him it was legal to pursue. This guy might not have had to blow the family nest egg to get the buck back. I would love to herer all your comments and thoughts about this guys worst nightmare.

You are correct that in Iowa you can retrieve wounded game on any ground as long as you are unarmed. However, in some states, like Michigan my former home, you must have the landowners permission to retrieve wounded game. Its a ridiculous law and I never followed it. If I shot a deer, I dont care whos property its on, Im taking it home. This law should be based on a code of ethics of hunting. Hunters should try to recover any wounded game. Its not right to the animal to let it just die and go to waste or to let it suffer. In the first place, the guy in the article should have never even of asked permission of the landowner. He should of just got his deer and got out of there.

Here in Wisconsin, you do need permission to track a deer onto another property. If not, the DNR (supposedly) can come or will come and do that for you if you can't gain permission, if they have time (I've never heard of them doing it though). For the most part, hunters here have agreements with most adjoining landowners that its o.k. to track wounded deer. In many cases, people just track the deer and pull them out, as the chances of being caught are so remote.

This story takes place in Iowa that is why i got so bent out of shape about it. This is a very good story I recdomend that you all read it. It is very interesting to see what some people will go though to gain large antlers. Maybe iowawhitetail can provide a direct link to the story. I would if I could but I am almost computer illiterate
tongue.gif

I live in WI and last year shot a doe early in the morning.The doe crossed the road into a neighbors 40.I asked permission and the land owner said yes to go track the doe.I was unable to locate deer.That evening,i had shot another doe which crossed the road,so i just tracked it and found her.I agree,the game laws,should allow trailing without permission.Then again,we have JERK hunters that tresspas on everyones land.

The right to retrieve your game had always been a fuzzy area for me, so 2 years ago while taking a BowHunter education class I asked the Polk County Iowa DNR officer who spoke at the class. He said that there are contradictions between laws of the rights of the hunter and the privacy & tresspass laws, and the only way you can legally go on someone's land without permission is if you can see the game lying dead from your side of the fence so you can walk in a direct line straight to it. He said that nothing gives you permission to wander around on someones private land, short of a search warrant. He also went on to say that he gets called to settle a dispute between a hunter and a landowner, and the landowner is very anal about it, he will not side with the hunter even if he can see it.

I did not like this answer when I heard it either so please do not bash me. I am just sharing information from a reliable source.

As far as recovering the animal I also understand that pursuit can continue while unarmed. If I recall it was found only 60 yards onto the property? I think there may be more to this part of the story.

This article is a good example of what deer hunting has become for many.

The bottom line as I seen it from the article is the animal was not recovered. So it was lost and belongs to the woods.

However, the antler value and trade opportunities came into play next bringing the rats out of the woodwork to clean up.

Anyone that has to do business looking over their shoulder in some clandestine location is not playing above board.

And cashing in a FAMILY CD for a set of deer antlers is beyond my comprehension.

It's too bad we have been able to put such high values on these things.

JMHO

Have a safe and enjoyable season.

That is a shame that these things have to happen. He should have not even contacted the landowner and recovered his deer. The law was on his side as long as he didn't have his bow with him. I have known some pretty rude landowners....but most (if not all) would let someone go get a wounded deer. The fact of the matter is.......if you want to pursue a wounded deer, leave your bow and gun and go get it. Quick and simple....and no one gets hurt. I have had several people come on to my families property to recover deer while I have been hunting and I am more than glad to let them on and I would be more than happy to help them out.
Good luck and good hunting!

-GunnerJon

I read this article when I got my magazine and thought....what a bunch of hillbillys! I wouldn't have given 5 dollars for it.

Not quite sure why there are some people who are bashing the hunter for paying to get his deer back. He didn't buy it back to make money on the rack, he bought it because he was the one who shot the animal and he wanted to have it on his wall as a trophy as well as a memory.

As far as I am concerned the bashing should start with the man who sold a rack that wasn't his for profit, who obviously has not put in the countless hours it takes to pursue this magnificent animal. If I was the man he did that to I would make it a mission to get my money back from him one way or another.

After him I would look at the DNR officer that wouldn't take the time to help the hunter look for the deer just because he new the people who originally looked for the animal.(that is if the story is correct in the way it describes the events that took place) Just an opinion!!!!!!!!

Bill,

How goes the battle? You coming West to hunt in the hills? We gotta get together this year!

Let me know,

TLH

Tony, looked for your e-mail address and could not find it. I'm going out the 7th to the 17th. Prime Time baby!!!! hope I don't get eaten by a couger!

Bill,

Just click on Contact Us anywhere on this site and I will get your message.

Crazy about the cats isn't it? We had one about 1/2 mile from the house last month. I almost want to carry a BIG STICK with me to my tree stand........if you know what I mean.

Anyway, the family and I were over picking apples the other day and "the hills" are sure starting to look pretty.

Drop me a note, I will be out and about the entire month of November.

Good Hunting!

TLH

Top Bottom