Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Man-made waterholes

tlambert

PMA Member
Have any of you had any luck with these man-made waterholes...lining a hole with plastic. I saw one on one of the trail cam pics. We've been talking about putting one in on our place but haven't done it yet.

I'd be affraid that the plastic would cause the water to sit stagnant for too long and could make the deer sick.

I dug a small one last year. Plowed out a couple terraces in each direction to gather additional water into the little hole. Its probably 30' by 10' and hasn't went dry yet. Nice last fall during rut when 10 different deer drank from it in one sit.

[ QUOTE ]
I've been thinking of the same thing. Hope I'm not hijacking, but here was my idea. Rather than using plastic I was going to partially bury a heavy rubber stock tank. The local farm store sells 140 gal tanks for around $80, and at 1/4" thick rubber I would think it would last quite a while. My thought was also to build a slanted frame on one side and cover it with corrugated steel to provide some run-off to help keep it full. A 4'x8' sheet should roughly quadruple the rainfall amount in the tank.
Anyone tried something like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen something like that on shows filming in TX and Africa, except they poured concrete for the tank.
With the tank, I'd just be worried about small animals falling in and not being able to get back out.

I shot my 150" archery buck last year on a man made pond that is lined with a large sheet of used rubber roof material. I don't think there is anything to worry about with the water getting bad. It seems like the deer almost prefer nasty green pond water compared to stream water. My buddy and I added 4 more ponds this year to our two main farms and are expecting good things. If you can get a water hole out in the middle of the woods it is going to be HUGE.

I forgot to say that if you know anyone that is a roofer, most guys would be glad to get a chunk of this material for you for little or nothing. It is heavy, but it works great at holding water in your ponds.

[ QUOTE ]
I shot my 150" archery buck last year on a man made pond that is lined with a large sheet of used rubber roof material. I don't think there is anything to worry about with the water getting bad. It seems like the deer almost prefer nasty green pond water compared to stream water. My buddy and I added 4 more ponds this year to our two main farms and are expecting good things. If you can get a water hole out in the middle of the woods it is going to be HUGE.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not sure why, but I've read in the past that deer prefer still/stagnant water to fresh running water. I don't think a deer is going to drink anything that isn't healthy for it anyway, unless it's something they can't detect. I think the waterholes are a great idea!!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call on that one. And luckily I work for a construction co. Looks like I've got a chunk lined up.

[ QUOTE ]
With the tank, I'd just be worried about small animals falling in and not being able to get back out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about that too. I would think you could just put a long 2x4 in the tank on an angle that they could use to crawl out? Definately dont want dead critters floating around.

[ QUOTE ]
I dug a small one last year. Plowed out a couple terraces in each direction to gather additional water into the little hole. Its probably 30' by 10' and hasn't went dry yet. Nice last fall during rut when 10 different deer drank from it in one sit.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I was makin fun of it!

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be affraid that the plastic would cause the water to sit stagnant for too long and could make the deer sick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't think that they will drink anything that will harm them, I'm sure they drink from mudholes, I've seen them do it.

Really, deer will go to any water source and seem to have a pretty good immunity to anything, or there would be alot of dead deer around.
frown.gif

I have used a plastic or fiberglass 55 gal. barrel cut in half lengthwise and then buried in a natural runoff area with one end higher than the other to allow water to run out with good success in having deer use it, This works great in spots that you don't want to have disturbed very much.

Top Bottom