Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Management help?

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
And I would put a stand on the west point of that pond. Either in between food and water on the north or between bedding and water on the south side. Use the pond to your advantage getting in/out and hunt on W and SW winds and possibly NW if your careful. With a stand there you should have no problem with running out of daylight.

That does setup nice. Is it a gravel road along the west side, that would allow you to walkin from any part of the west line? How hard is it gonna be shutting down the tresspassers? Do you live close enough by to keep an eye on it? About the only way will be to lock the gate, post it and call the sherriff/CO on everyone. Which may piss some neighbors off that have let you shed hunt in the past. The old you can come on mine if I can come on yours thing.

Tresspassers will no longer like this place, my cousin doesn't want anybody on it due to liability reasons (other than my Dad and myself). We're chain locking all enterence points that have gates and hoping to make put posts with wire cables across other places. I live about 10 miles away from this place and can check on it daily if needed. Yes, that is a gravel road to the west.

Last edited:
You have alot of rowcrop, so a few acres left standing here and there should not get wiped out too soon. Are there any cattle? As young as you are, if you want to plant trees, I would gather walnuts and disc those two areas up and broadcast them heavy, then cover. You want them thick so they compete and grow fast, straight up to create veneer trees for a nice cash crop on down the road. I am sure your dad will like that idea. You wont have to water them and it will become a jungle. Winter rye and radishes in your soybeans will keep them coming after harvested. I would definately recommend the brassica mix in july and the rye mix in august rotated yearly,[see Dbltrees threads]. In these dry years they have saved me, and it will keep your deer fed and happy all year. And of course clover. I would build a couple wood groundblinds that can observe the whole area with foolproof in and out trails and landscape your foodplots around them. You know thats all we use here. My kids have never sat in a tree in their life, and we kill nice bucks every year with bow and mloader.

Last edited:
I would reduce the total number of plots in such a small space and spread them around the farm more. Try to put the plots in areas where the deer cannot see from one to the other. This creates natural rutting activity forcing the bucks to check each plot.

Hoosier beat me to exact same thought......have less # of food plots.....and instead just make a couple of them larger. Too many plots will drive you crazy, as it gives the deer too many options. Looks like the W end of that pond makes a great funnel, especially if you can block up that entire NE edge of timber. Assuming there are weed trees in there, drop all of them in the first 100' or so, and make it so jumbled that they won't be able to reach the fields. Then make a nice opening, or just don't block it up, near where that edge approaches the W end of the pond. Most should start to funnel thru there and in any W wind (which is often), you should have a killer stand location. Assuming that's row crops in that field to the N, I'd leave the entire SE block standing as a food plot.

Here are some pictures of the property and 2 sheds I found today while taking pictures :) The person we kicked off has a big mouth and told everybody so now nobody wants to go on it. The other landowners told him to get lost when they found out he was baiting on their property.
12135-img_0627.jpg

My biggest 5pt shed! Scores over 65"!
12135-img_0614.jpg

Deer trail in the young trees...
12135-img_0616.jpg

Found this 2pt shed while looking at some old tires on the ground...
12135-img_0626.jpg

I would like to turn this into the food plot are and have blinds/stands around.
12135-img_0618.jpg

I'd like to plant some willows/acorn/oak trees here...
12135-img_0609.jpg

12135-img_0608.jpg

Congrats on the sheds! Looks like you got your work cut out for you. Enjoy and give us some pics of the progress!

image-2783478086.jpg

Sheds from the property, picked up 100s of rocks from the place the food plot is going in. Now to take down some trees!

Sent from my iPod touch using IW

I'm also going to add, I found 2 more sheds and a nice dead buck! I cut some trees down with my bow saw and cleaned some of the junk that's in the field up with the ranger and picked up a few rocks.

Last edited:
Status
  • Deleted by N/A
Top Bottom