Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Manure effect

Daver

PMA Member
While all the Hawk fans have been talking about roses lately, here's this question...

The farm that I have been hunting this year was in beans. The harvested bean field was regularly drawing 6-10 deer per evening and showed good sign of being used consistently. However, the farmer spread pig manure about 5 days ago and a hunt there Sunday night produced no deer sightings, nor was there any fresh sign present. ( Needless to say it the olfactory glands were on overload too!)

My question is this... is this field done for this year or will the deer resume feeding in it after awhile or after a few rains or what? I can't say I blame the deer for not wanting to eat leftover beans covered in manure, haha. ( Actually that kind of reminds me of my old high school cafeteria, but that's another story. )

I am working on my second anterless tag now, but am considering relocating my stands to an entirely different farm. Are there any "manure experts" out there that can advise me?

I don't consider myself full of sh!# if that's what your asking, but this is a regular occurence on some of the places I hunt. All the activity, especially if they're working at night, would be the only thing to cause the deer to cool off in my opinion. Who needs coon or fox urine, you just got a shot of lasting cover scent. I definitely would not be moving stands.

Top Bottom