Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Measuring Triple 7 powder?

TimberPig

Does anyone know if I can use my regular reloading scale to measure 777 or any other black powder substitute? Is that stuff measured by weight or volume? I have noticed that a 50g pellet of 777 is smaller than a 50g pellet of Pyrodex making me think that you cant go by weight on a scale.

If not, couldnt I just weigh a 50 "grain" pellet, and use whatever that number is for the loose powder equivelent?

I've always used pellets and never used loose powder, but it seems I could get a whole lot more shooting in for less money with loose powder. Of course I could just buy a powder measure but I'm trying to save some $$ here while experimenting with loose powder and the scale seems more accurate.

These black powder substitutes are designed to be measured by volume. 777 has a little more power than Pyrodex. If you use 100 grains (volume) of Pyrodex, error on the safe side and start with 80 grains (by volume) of 777. I can't emphasize enough to start with smaller charges and work up to what you find an acceptable load (accuracy vs. recoil). I think the manufacturers of 777 say 100 grains is the limit.
777 can be weighed. Just measure it by volume and dump it on a scale. Then you can weigh the next charges out. This is supposed to give one more consistent loads, but might not be noticed during hunting conditions.

Be safe.
Randy

Do yourself a favor and spend 5 or 6 bucks for a powder measure. The charges of black powder and substitutes are measured by volume rather than actual weight. You can't weight a pellet to approximate a charge weight because the pellets burn diffrently than loose powder. In my Knight rifle I find that I can almost substitute 110 grains of either 777 or Pyrodex or 2 pellets of either and will shoot to almost the same point of aim. My experience has also shown that the pellets tend to leave far less crud in the barrel between shots than the loose powder. My rifle actually shoots a little beter with 110 grains of Pyrodex and the 250 grain shock wave bullets, but for hunting it is hard to beat the convience of the pellets in a speed loader and either load shoots beter than I can off hand anyway. Buy yourself a measure and work up gradually until you find what shoots the best and that usually doesn't mean a maxi charge either. Both companies don't recomend going over 120 grains of loose powder partly I think because it is so hard to get the same bullet seating pressure and there fore the same compaction with each shot, where the pellets are very consistent.

Pellet sizes are different because of the density of the product. They could make them bigger or smaller by adjusting the amount of inert materials. Using loose powder- like others stated, you can measure volume of the charge, weigh it, and then measure the same weight for all charges.

Pharmer,
I think they call them 50 grain, but there is some compensation for the different strength between the two powders. If they called them 40's, somebody would stuff 4 of them in their gun
frown.gif

In case anyone was curious, I weighed a 50gr pellet of T7 tonight for the heck of it. A tad under 30gr on my scale. I was surprised it was that light.

[ QUOTE ]
In case anyone was curious, I weighed a 50gr pellet of T7 tonight for the heck of it. A tad under 30gr on my scale. I was surprised it was that light.

[/ QUOTE ] OK, so here is another test for you. If you measure 50 grains of loose powder by volume, then weigh it by weight, how much is it? I think you will be surprised again.

[ QUOTE ]
Pharmer,
I think they call them 50 grain, but there is some compensation for the different strength between the two powders.

[/ QUOTE ] True. Hodgdon downsized the T7 pellets from day one to match the power equivalent of their Pyrodex pellets. T7 pellets of 50 grains are weaker than 50 grains of T7 powder.

[ QUOTE ]
777 has a little more power than Pyrodex

[/ QUOTE ] True again. And like was mentioned already, Hodgdon says 100 grains max for T7 or Pyrodex. Some, but not all gun manufacturers promote using more. The manufacturer of my gun allows more and I use a bit more (110 grains in the new gun this year).

[/ QUOTE ] OK, so here is another test for you. If you measure 50 grains of loose powder by volume, then weigh it by weight, how much is it? I think you will be surprised again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know, because I dont have any loose T7 yet. Do you know how much it weighs?

I am going to go with loose next year I think. I can save money and bump up to maybe 120-130 grains. I have shot many 150g and 100g loads and in my Encore the group size is identical (apprx 2-2&1/2"). Point of impact is definately not though! I dropped at least 15" at 100 yards by going from 150g down to 100g of T7. I was surprised it made that big a difference at only 100 yds. Kicks a bit less though.

Top Bottom