Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

mechanical broadheads

Just picked some mechanical broadheads up on sunday and I was wondering what kind of luck everyone has been having with the mechanicals shooting the same as a field point as the package says they do.

I have had good luck with Spitfires. They seem to fly pretty true, I bought them when they had the "practice blades" included now you have to purchase them separately. I still would shoot a "real" one just make sure you mark it in a way that you do not use it in a "Live" situation unless it has been sharpened. Go get'em.....I am counting the days.....

I am guessing here but....$3-$6 I would imagine. I shut a button Buck 2 years ago the second to last day of the season. Colder than snot standing along a fence line. It flyed very true and the deer was dead within 15 yards. I am not exagerrating either. After it took it's last breath another hunter (from where he came I have no idea) poked it to see if it was alive. He did not see me. This all happened in 1-2 minutes. Pretty weird situation. The only problem... I would have liked complete pass through and should have with the shot placement. It did not pass through. I shoot around 60-62 lbs. I think that is the minimum or close to it as far as poundage needed for the SF to work properly. Some guys from my club hate 'em others swear buy 'em. I woould not be afraid to shoot them again. I like the Steel Forces also but, every time I buy 3 of them I go empty that season...that's bad luck for me. My buddies say I am to choosey....I say I like to hunt as much of the season as I can.

I HAVE SEEN BLOOD TRAILS FROM SPIT FIRES LOOK LIKE SOMEONE POURED PAINT ON THE TREES AND HAVE SEEN HOLE ONLY THE SIZE OF THE ARROW SHAFT AND PERFECTLY ROUND.. YES, MINIMUM OF 60-65 POUNDS ON THE BOW.ROCKETS, JACKHAMMERS, SPITFIRES AND ANUMBER OF EXPANDABLES ARE USEFULL---I WOULD WATCH THE QUARTING SHOTS AND STICK TO THE BROADSIDS IF POSSIBLE. NO I WILL NOT USE EM ON DEER, BUT LOVE EM FOR TURKEYS. I LIKE THE PASS THRU ON DEER AND THE SHOCK ON BIRDS.

FOR THE MOST PART THE FLEW THE SAME FOR ME AS TARGET TIPS, AND CAN GIVE YOU THAT EXTRA 5-10 YARDS OF ACCURACY YOU MAY NEED. M359 OUT

Anyone else see the broadhead demonstation at the Iowa Bowhunters Fall Rendezvous? It sure had anyone in the crowd shooting expandables thinking otherwise....... in a nutshell they had pork ribs strapped to a watermelon (Deer)..... and beef ribs on another (Elk)....... most of the expandables didn't penetrate more than 6 inches and all of them suffered broken or bent blades...... all broadheads were shot from a 65 lb. compound at around 15 yards....... pretty convincing demo if you were there to witness it.......

Wow, that must have been a huge nut to fit a watermelon and livestock ribs into. Maybe it was a tiny watermelon. Anyway, it seems like watermelon rinds are pretty dense compared to the lungs of a deer. I can see the pork ribs or beef ribs being representative, but disagree with the watermelon. Did they shoot fixed blades into the mock animal too? How did they work out? What were the "experimenters" promoting?

Nilgai are Indian antelope transplanted to south Texas and other warm climates. I shot them on the King Ranch in south Texas and had a blast. Elk sized and in popular opinion in this area eat the BEST of ANY meat I have yet consumed. Confirmed by long time local elk hunters. I always considered Elk to be the best till I had Nilgai. Better than beef.

Save and eat it ALL.

Bill

Bill is right on! I shot six of them on the King Ranch over a period of several years. They are very good eating. Been a while since I've shot one, but they are fairly tough animals to bowhunt. Pretty wary and hard to kill compared to most other game.
smile.gif

Jerry

The demo. was just an informational thought provoker by an individual who had no financial gain.... I think he was a bowhunter education instructer....... the ribs were slabs, duct taped on the sides of each of the watermelons...... certainly didn't totally represent a deer chest cavity...... but it was a lot more interesting than watching broadheads shot into steel drums or cider blocks....... the penetration winner was the 2 blade grizzly then the Magnus head...... several fixed 3 blades also penetrated well..... I am sure that the watermelon rind did help stop most of the expandables from full penetration..... just info. not trying to slam anyone's broadheads.....

I pretty much ditto M350's comments. I used to shoot an overdraw with 65lbs, and my expandables shot identical to field points. I think they were a 3 bladed Vortex. Anyway I shot 3 deer with them, no pass throughs which did not matter on the 1st 2 because they were perfect hits. The 3rd deer was only hit the back of 1 lung and I had no blood trail to follow so I had no idea where it went and could not find it in the dark. It only went about 125 yards, but I did not find it till morning after the coyotes chewed on it all night. I might try them again with heavier full length arrows where I have more kennetic energy. Since then I have fine tuned my bow and conventional broadheads fly darn good too.

IaCraig

Those of you that shoot mechanical BH's. Would you say heavier, full-length arrows? I went to 100 grn spitfires with my overdraw rig and flight was very good/right with fieldpoints @ 65# but penetration not that good...I liked everything else, just wondered if takes heavier arrow to drive them. Thanks.

Don't know about their demo, but all my elk were shot with Mech BH's and they were all pass thrus. So were most of the nilgai I shot and most of the deer and the antelope and the 400# bear.

I'm not really interested in shooting watermelons and ribs. ;^)

Jerry
cool.gif

Nor are we really interested in shooting nilgai. Gotcha.

By the way, what is a nilgai? Some kind of weird cowboy hat?

I've shot numerous deer and 2 bear with a variety of mechanicals in the past several years. All but 1 were pass throughs, and that was a buck I shot last fall from nearly a straight down angle through the back. He didn't go far. I've never seen the problem with deflected arrows, poor penetration, etc., but then again I am sold on shooting my very heavy arrows out of a 68# pull. I shoot a 32 inch 2317. The reason I changed was because I just have never found a fixed blade head that flies as consistently as the mechanicals. They could have dynamite on the tip and it doesn't do much good if they don't go where you want'em to. A moderate wind (especially a head wind, which we hope for) always raised hell with the flight of my arrow when I shot fixed blades.

I've been shooting 100gr Spitfires for 4-5yrs with good results. Total arrow weight is just under 500gr. Thats a big part of the formula. The other part is they come off the bow @ 250 fps.
I remember demonstration promoting "cut to the tip" type heads where a piece of raw deer hide was pulled down over a full blade head and then over a Muzzy and a T-head. The hide almost fell over the head that "cut" and took alot of force to pop the Muzzy and T-head through. Both of which are great heads.

Top Bottom