Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mechanicals in a blind??

The Double Bull guys shoot Rockets and don't have any problems. A few guys I work with shoot Rockets and don't have problems. I'm still leary that they do start to open but that's only with the mechanicals that have little prongs on the end of the blades to help in opening them. As far as I could tell from the DB video the Rockets will work, they show closeups of the mesh and they went through just fine.

As far as the difference in blinds...

I have a T2 and I like it quite a bit, there's just not that much room in it for me. Depending on which doctor I go to or which boots I have on I'm right around 6' 1" or so. I would rather have the T5, I50, or BS5 in a perfect world. Quick clarification...they are all basically the same blind with minor differences. Square footage inside them are all the same and that's what you want to know. 2 people can hunt out of the T5 very easily. The T2 is very difficult as I've tried it. The big thing with blending them in is that the T2 is tee pee style so the roof outline is easier to break up. The T5 looks like a big rubix cube and there is the problem. Turkeys will walk up to it in a plowed field but deer won't. If you put the T5 next to a big tree or throw some brush on top of it to break up the roof outline you should be fine. In thicker cover for close bow shots just putting a few branches on and around it would be perfect. The same goes for the T2. Go with the T5, you'll have more room and if there's ever a chance to take a kid or even a grandparent you'll be happy that you have the extra room.

I have a T2 and really like it, but as muddy said, it is only meant for one. When I hunt with a partner, we use his bigger Doulble Bull. As far as broadheads, I have been using Rocky mountain gators and Sonoran mechanicals. If you do get a Double Bull directly from them, have them send you some extra netting so you can practice with whatever heads you use, before you go hunting. Also order a bow holder that sticks in the ground, they're slick. Good luck!

I am looking at gettin a double bull blind. I am currently shooting mechanical broadheads, rocket aeroheads,and I wondered if the mesh window would open the broadheads?

I also would like to use the blind for deer, and I really wondered if the T5 really suspicous to the deer? I like the smaller T2, has enough room for me, but saw a post on how someone liked the larger T5 for room. I have not seen the T5 in person, just the T2 Just wondered how the deer reacted to the blinds,

I've been using the T5/GH500 (have them both) for several years now and might be able to give some input here. Both blinds have the blackened interior which really helps and I would recommend getting.

The one mechanical I know can be shot through the netting is Rocket's Steelhead. We have set up our blind with the window netting, testing them in camp and using them in the field. We have tested them out to 30 yards and they flew completely unaffected. I would agree with Muddy and stay away from the mechanicals with the larger prongs that open the blades, I haven't tested them, but would imagine they would catch a little on the netting.

You can place the blind anywhere with turkeys,
though I've found putting it up against some cover or large trees seems to help. You do not have to worry about brushing it in for turkeys.

Whitetails are a different story. From my experience, unless you can leave it set up for a length of time to allow deer to get used to it you better brush it in ....and well! I can't tell you how many deer have stomped and/or blowed around my blind in the spring. I've hunted whitetails and mule deer in Arizona the past 6 years, set up on waterholes, and I've learned from my mistakes in what it takes to brush up the blind. The first couple years I tried to use only "natural" items(limbs, sticks, weeds) and would get busted every time. My friend and I decided to try some 3D netting we purchased at a Army surplus store. In addition to limbs and weeds, we pinned some synthetic oak leaves to the netting. It takes a little extra time to set up, but I promise you it will work. I don't hunt whitetails here from my blind, as I hunt from treestands, but if I did, this would be the system I would use. I just don't think there is any possible way a mature buck or doe would not notice the blind with just a couple sticks and limbs thrown on top, unfortunately it's not that simple.

Here's a couple pics from my waterhole setup this past January. The deer could not approach from behind my blind, there for I didn't add anything to the netting.
fc9ab9e8.jpg
fc9ab9ea.jpg

Bowhunt,
I would definately go with the T5 if you plan on taking a friend or children. The T2 has a better roof line but I think the T5 is a better blind for my purposes. By the way I have a used T5 for sale...
wink.gif
wink.gif

As far as the mechanical heads I am still a little skeptical. Any thing that touches your arrow is going to have an affect on the flight. I have shot through the netting once and missed... and that never happens.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
. I am going to shoot a lot through it this spring and summer to see if I can get enough confidence up to use it on a deer.

For mature bucks I was successful in brushing the blind in a blow down with a lot of extra oak branches that still had leaves on them when I was video taping this fall. Had a great 6 X 6 come within nine to ten yards of it and finally knew something was out of place and left but had I been hunting it would have been a good shot.

Two Beards,
Now wait just a damn minute! That is cheating
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
! Looks awesome bud. Have been trying to get the hog fence on the duck blind effect and I think that may do the trick! I have had luck brushing it in but in high wind situatiuons I think this would be the ticket. Thanks for the idea!

Limb

What kind of T5? Does it have black interior? Last but not least, how much? I'm interested if it's black interior T5.

Limb Chicken,
My bowhunting partner told me on our trip that the Army surplus stores are going to stop selling the netting - can't remember why? We bought ours in California (that's where my buddy lives), close to the Marine base Camp Pendleton. I think we paid about $70 for a 10' x 12'. I take mine off and keep it in a old duffle bag, my buddy just leaves his on and puts it in his blind bag.

Windy days are actually the best, allowing the material in the netting to blow around. As you can see from the picture, the netting comes in handy for attaching limbs and weeds to break up the outline. The synthetic oak leaves we used are called "Sneaky Leaf", if you look around you should be able to pick up 100 (w/small black pins) for about $10-15. They really add a nice touch, but I wouldn't recommend pinning them around the edge of the window.....I did last spring, had a shot at a longbeard at 12 yds and hit the stem that attaches the two leaves...good example of "less is more".
confused.gif

Just wanted to let you know that if you're interested, you probably need to start looking soon, before they become difficult to find. Thanks for the compliment on the blind
wink.gif
grin.gif

Two Beards

I shot a rocket mechanical head through my blind netting at an antelope in Wyoming this past fall and one of the blades opened up and sent the arrow about a foot over his back at 25 yards. I won't be shooting though the netting again with a mechanical.

Two Beards - do you know if that netting can be found anwhere around central Iowa ? I live a little west of Des Moines. It looks like that netting makes a huge difference in blending in the blind. Great job !

CamoMan,
I have never looked for it around here, so not sure who might carry it. It took us a while to find the type and size of netting we were looking for. I would call all Army surplus stores and any other place that might carry something like it. It will probably take some time and effort on your part to find one....but when you do, it will definitely be worth it!

I know you can run a search and come up with other nettings that are available. There are some good ones out there, but they seem to be too expensive or too small.

Good Luck
TB

Top Bottom