Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Messed up day.

lxshooter

Got to our spot this morning expecting to hammer a bird in the first 45 mins of being there, however the birds didn't come down to the field they had been coming to. Instead they went to the field on the other side of the fence. After sitting in the blind for about a hour I happened to peek out of the back and saw a nice tom on the other side of the fence, then he hops over the fence and starts to head to our decoys. As my buddy draws his bow he bumps the tripod for the video camera and spooks the bird. The tom stopped about 20 yards out and he shoots him in what appears to be a vital shot. The tom runs off and runs under the fence and into a large thorn thicket. We take off to look for him and end up looking for 20-30 mins. As we head back to the blind there are 3 birds strutting around the decoys 2 nice toms and a jake. This leads us into a belly crawling session for damn near an hour. If this wasn't the most messed day of turkey hunting I don't know what was. This is our first time bow hunting out of a blind. We later find out the #1 rule of bow hunting turkeys..... NEVER LEAVE THE BLIND!!!!

did you ever find the first bird?

huntn4life88
157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif
sniper.gif

No that's what made it even worse. We looked and looked and never found him. We did find blood though. Called the DNR to see if we could use a dog to find him, don't know how that turned out, I got lucky enough to get called into work.
mad.gif

where in southern iowa did you shoot this bird? (not that it really matters)...had a buddy last year that lost his bird and they found him hunkered down in a multi flor rose thicket hidding in a small creekbed...they said he was extremely hard to spot and the only reason they did was because they saw the white from a bit away and investigated to find him after 3 hours of scouring the thicket and they think they may have walked over him atleast once maybe twice.....a painful experience in the thicket but worth it when they found his bird.

Huntn4life88
157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif
sniper.gif

He shot him near Bevington. This was real thick stuff. Like you said it had deep ditches and thorns everywhere. We looked and looked. I've tried to call and see if they found him or not but the is no answer.

Top Bottom