Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Milo now, alfalfa in fall or spring

Keef

I planted some milo this year because it was so wet I didn't get anything out until too late for alfalfa. I want to switch to alfalfa when I can.

Should I wait until next spring?

What do I need to do when I switch? Brush hog any remaining milo stalks and then disk? If I do it in the spring can I spray it for weeds during the summer?

Will I need to be concerned about any volunteer milo popping up?

I did 2 1/2 acres of Whitetail Institute PowerPlant and 4 acres of milo. Also did a few small patches that I'll put in turnips this fall. I'll do some clover and chicory this fall (another field of 2 1/2 acres) and the alfalfa (in the 4 acre milo field) when the time is right. This was my first try at food plots and it was frustrating due to the rain and fun as well. The price of fuel, feed and fertilizer tended to take some of the fun out of it.

I think if it was me, I would mow the milo off, and plant your alfalfa this fall. I would probably plant oats/rye in with it as well. You will have something for this year/fall, then next year you can mow/spray your alfalfa when its up to kill of the oats. And you will have a great stand of alfalfa. The more I learn, see, and do with planting crops in the fall the more I like it. Those plants are already jump started come next year by the time you can get out there to plant.

I would think you will have some milo coming up, but spraying/mowing next year should keep it down.

Dean

So you're tilling under 2 1/2 acres of milo and planting alfalfa? If you till up the soil good you won't have any problems since milo is an annual, plus you'll have nutrients when the milo stalks decompose. From what I understand it is okay to plant alfalfa in the fall, so I'd go for it.

I heard good things about the powerplant and I planted an acre of my own powerplant with sunflower, beans, peas, and milo from welter seed, and the deer are killing it (15-20 deer on it a night) and its still very thick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> From what I understand it is okay to plant alfalfa in the fall, so I'd go for it.</div></div>

Hmmmm...not really......

It depends on what you mean when you say "fall"???

Alfalfa seedlings need a longer time period before frost then does clover, so anytime from now thru mid August depending on your earliest frost date would be ok.

Alfalfa should be seeded "late summer" but fall is too late (fall to me is September on)

So you either need to till the milo under in the next few weeks and summer seed or wait until next spring.

Check the alfalfa thread for links and planting information but I planted this spring with oats to help hold down weeds then you can either clip/bale or spray...lots of options if you spring plant. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Alfalfa

You can plant Alfalfa in the fall, just remember, you need 50 days after germination before the first frost, or you will have wasted your time and money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> From what I understand it is okay to plant alfalfa in the fall, so I'd go for it.</div></div>

Hmmmm...not really......

It depends on what you mean when you say "fall"???

Alfalfa seedlings need a longer time period before frost then does clover, so anytime from now thru mid August depending on your earliest frost date would be ok.

Alfalfa should be seeded "late summer" but fall is too late (fall to me is September on)

So you either need to till the milo under in the next few weeks and summer seed or wait until next spring.

Check the alfalfa thread for links and planting information but I planted this spring with oats to help hold down weeds then you can either clip/bale or spray...lots of options if you spring plant. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Alfalfa </div></div>

What I meant was late summer planting for hunting in the fall. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I meant was late summer planting for hunting in the fall. </div></div>

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Top Bottom