Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Minn Kota controller going bad?

iowabucks

Hey everyone,

I have a question about my Minn Kota 35Ta trolling motor. This is a small motor that my brother and i keep for fishing farm ponds. We just take the trolling motor and battery to a couple different farm ponds we know of and use the owners johnboats. Works out pretty good. We have used it for a good 10 to 12 years.

I have noticed lately a reduction in power. It has 5 speeds and there is no noticable difference in sound from 2 to 3. It doesn't seem like the prop is spinning as fast as it used to at full speed. The handle has spun around a little and the numbers don't match up with the real speed at all. I'm hoping the outside of the handle has spun a little instead of the controller itself being bad. I have had it apart a few times to replace a few hinge and bracket parts. Also had the control box open to check to see if the controller had spun. Everything looked good inside there.

Does the controller ever go bad on these motors and do these symptoms sound like the controller?

Is there any other thing that could make it lose power?

I may take the motor cover off to check the brushes.

Talked to a tech at Minn Kota. I have a new controller/switch coming. Only $15. We'll see what that does.

I was going to recommend getting in touch with them, MinnKota is a great company to work with and they stand behind their products... however, if you have been using it for 10-12 years, it might be time to consider an upgrade.... :) ;)

Top Bottom