Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mixed Results Poses Problems

bowhuntr311

IowaWhitetail Addict
Hey all to start with Ive got two problems.

After RUPing my food plot, working it all up dragging it all flat, fertilizing, and planting I have ran into a major snag.

I planted 1 acre Dwarf Essex Rape, on about an acre. I drug 1/2 of it with bed spring and the other portion I left alone. Well I should have done all of it. The best portion of it is the stuff I drug under. Matterfact it might be a little thick. Ive been told that you want some space for it to grow tall and bushy. Most people on this site have said to plant brassicas late but I want the most tonage per acre of a late food possible becuase of limited space. How far apart do you think my plants should be?{not like I can do anything about it now} Some are an 1inch apart some are 10inches apart.

Then through out the scattered pines nex to the rape I planted a clover/rape/turnips mix. The mix we got for free from the Minnesota Deer Hunters Association. This mix was atleast 2 years old, and maybe 3. Well I planted this 10lb bag, which said it was supposed to cover an acre. I put it on about 2/3 of a acre. After close to a month or so, I can only find about 10 plants of clover. The turnips and Rape are comeing up farely well where I spread the seed the heaviest or where the tracks from the ATV were.

My problem. I have about 1/3 an acre of some really thinly spread turnips that is nothing but quack grass. And NO clover.

What should I do?

I dont want to plant clover in there again becuase I want the full 2/3 done all at the same time, but I dont want to kill the turnips that are coming, becuase in the middle of it they are really coming in good.

I had one thought, I have a small digger for behind the atv that I could work up the small patches of no clover and RUP by hand and plant back to rye grass later in the summer?

Any suggestions?

Dean

I'd think about using Poast or a similar herbicide to knock the grass down. Then you could seed (clover/alfalfa/turnips) over top of the thin stand in late July/August. Just a thought.

If it was me I would keep what I was happy with and burn down what I wasn't. Come back in late July early August and spread new seed in prepped bed as thin as possible and roll or drag in. Late July is only 6 weeks away and if planted right the tonnage will amaze you.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd think about using Poast or a similar herbicide to knock the grass down.

[/ QUOTE ]

And poast wouldnt hurt my broad leafs or clover? I have some grass growing on the south end of my plot in with my rape. I would imagine my rape will probably choke it out but if Im going to do this I might as well do it right.

As far as seeding in late july/early august, how much am i going to waste if we dont get some rain in the first 2 weeks after planting?

Dean

Poast was the first herbicide to come to mind since I have used it before. I thought I recalled a thread where an alternative (Select) herbicide was offered as being better.

Here is the thread: herbicides

As to how much seed you will waste? Tough call with no guarantees. Usually during July/August the ground is cracked and dry. Clover doesn't need to be planted very deep so rolling into a small crack or getting powder dry dirt blown over it is sufficient. The seed can lay there waiting for rain for quite some time. Seed too early in July/August, you risk having a single rain germinate the seed and then a prolonged dry spell will kill it. Later in August, rain is usually more frequent and temps milder.

Top Bottom