Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

ML Primers for Blackhorn 209

Packnasty

Based on discussions on recent threads, I decided to make the switch and ended up purchasing a jar of Blackhorn 209.

However, getting the right primers has been a challenge. Their website recommends using shotshell primers such as CCI 209m or Federal 209a (please see http://www.blackhorn209.com/faqs/ )

Bass Pro or Theissens does not sell them. Even large online retailers don't carry it. The ones that do, carry them in bulk and add an ridiculous 'hazardous material' shipping charge.

Does anyone know of a place where I can purchase these primers?

Thanks in advance for the help!

I just switched to this as well! It is a great shooting powder and I wil never go back to a pelletized powder again! As far as primers go I was shooting the triple 7 ML primers, bt encountered a problem of it not going off! I had some of the actual wincheser 209 primers left over from dog training and tried those. These worked just fine. I am shooting a tc encore prohunter. I loaded a 100 grains of blackhorn 209 and a 250 grain powerbelt aerotip. It is shooting very well! Hope this helps!

I sell standard Winchester 209's (W209) in 100 round box. If you are in Marion County you are pretty close to me.
Also have other types of Muzzleloader 209's that I would not recommend for the BlackHorn 209 - but work great with 777.

Last edited:
I have the Winchesters, no problems. I went to get some more and they had NOTHING except Remington Muzzleloader 209 primers- said they burn cleaner, etc and are for muzzleloaders only. Are those similar to the CCI's or whatever (basically a hotter or faster magnum primer or whatever)?

We use CCI regular and CCI magnum primers. We've shot both out of the same gun and they group the exact same, haven't noticed a difference and haven't ever had a hang fire/miss fire. Love the blackhorn 209!

We get our CCIs from Scheels.

Maybe this website gives a better explanation:

http://www.blackhorn209.com/specs/primers/

You aren't supposed to use muzzleloader primers at all with this powder... rather, shotshell primers. I'm just having a hard time finding them.

Boyd, are the primers you have in stock for shotshells? (i.e. w209 or 209a?)

Last edited:
I have the Winchesters, no problems. I went to get some more and they had NOTHING except Remington Muzzleloader 209 primers- said they burn cleaner, etc and are for muzzleloaders only. Are those similar to the CCI's or whatever (basically a hotter or faster magnum primer or whatever)?

The Remington "muzzleloader" primers are NOT the same as the CCI magnum primers. The remington primers are not near as hot and thus are not recommended for use with Blackhorn 209. If you are using pyrodex, triple 7 or the like, the remington primers will work just fine.

Lyon, thanks for the tip re: Sheels. I was really hoping to find CCI's.

Also, I have been reading that another issue with the Blackhorn powder is that the flash channel in the breech plug can often be too small, which doesn't allow enough spark to ignite the powder. This is apparently seen most often with Knight breech plugs.

I've also found that Blackhorn will enlarge your flash channel for free if you send in your breech plug. Something to consider.

Maybe this website gives a better explanation:

http://www.blackhorn209.com/specs/primers/

You aren't supposed to use muzzleloader primers at all with this powder... rather, shotshell primers. I'm just having a hard time finding them.

Boyd, are the primers you have in stock for shotshells? (i.e. w209 or 209a?)

I'm assuming Boyds are the "BLUE BOX" Winchester primers. They are fine for Blackhorn. Try to stay away from anything that has muzzleloader primer or ML primer on the box. These are for 777 type powders. Any regular old 209 shotshell primer should work.

Remington Kleanbore muzzleloader primers would hang fire roughly 50% of the time in my Disc Extreme. I switched to Federal 209A primers and it's been flawless. When using BH209 you will want to take a 1/8" (for Knight's I know) drill bit and, spinning by hand, clean the flash channel in your breech plug after each shooting session. There will be carbon build that needs to be removed.

I know the Scheels in Coralville has Federal primers. No CCI magnum cause I looked, but that was 2 weeks ago.

BH209 also prefers a lot of compression and it helps if you have a tight fitting bullet/sabot combination.

My brother and I both shoot the older american knights (same setup as bighorn, just older model). No misfires with either using CCI primers with BH209. My dad has a Knight disc extreme and did have a couple of misfires with that gun. The breech plug in the disc extreme is a little longer than the american knights. My dad bought the Lehigh disc extreme conversion kit and has had no misfires since. I have also drilled all our breech plug flash holes out to the BH209 recommended .035" with a #65 drill bit.

Top Bottom