Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mobile No-Till Setup

Iowannabe

Hello everyone. My first post here.

My family and I have 4 hunting properties scattered around the area and I'm looking to get away from the tilling-to-plant practices. In total, I plant about 10 acres of food plots a year. I'm looking to gather opinions on what to purchase for a mobile no-till setup using one of the tractors I already have. I have a Kubota sub-compact tractor, which has a 680lb 3-point lift capacity, and a John Deere 4 series tractor, which has a 2500lb 3-point lift capacity.

My guess is nobody will recommend using the sub compact for using a no-till drill, but I figured I would toss that out there if someone knows a good mobile method.

I've used my John Deere 4 series with a buddy's Great Plains 606NT pull style drill, which it does well with, but it's not real "mobile". I would have to trailer them separately to each property, which I would rather not do.

Any recommendations on what drill/brand to purchase for one of these machines? It seems like the Great Plains/Landpride and the Genesis are the most common. Are the heavy no till drill necessary, or would a minimal-till do the job without having to till?

10 acres a years, genesis 5 will do great. Very mobile, legit no till, under 2500 lb capacity. Under heavier use (more acres) I'd def go GP.

Welcome! Caveat...I will share some thoughts, but cannot answer all of your questions based upon personal experience.

I too have a compact tractor, LS 4140H, which I believe is rated for 2700 pounds on the 3 point lift. I currently use a Truax Flex-II drill with fair success. (I need to get it to close the seed bed furrow better. This could just be an additional adjustment and/or replacing some "tired" springs, etc.) It is a tow behind model and does feature three seed boxes. I think it is cutting a sufficient furrow and dropping seed reliably, FWIW.

I am strongly considering getting a Genesis 5, which is a 3 point device, that is around 1800 pounds. So I think I can use it with my tractor.

I am drilling more and more and tilling less and less...but am not fully no till...yet.

With that said, I don't think there is anything viable for your smaller tractor...but I think a Genesis, or similar, would work with your 4 series no problem. I will probably buy the Genesis because I am a place in my life where I can generally afford things AND I am trying to avoid "saving money" only to have to buy something a second time when I get annoyed and frustrated. :)

10 acres a years, genesis 5 will do great. Very mobile, legit no till, under 2500 lb capacity. Under heavier use (more acres) I'd def go GP.
Thanks for the thoughts. I do think the Genesis 5 would be a good fit.

If a guy wanted to purchase a Great Plains unit (I have a dealership near my home), are there any thoughts on which model? No-till vs min-till?

Agree with Genesis, really like mine. Only potential regret is that it wont do fluffy natives. Other comment is that trailering your tractor, i assume loader, and a 5’ genesis is a heavy load. Not sure how far apart your farms are but likely going to need a heavy trailer and 3/4 ton truck to haul them together.

Thanks for the thoughts. I do think the Genesis 5 would be a good fit.

If a guy wanted to purchase a Great Plains unit (I have a dealership near my home), are there any thoughts on which model? No-till vs min-till?
U won’t regret anything Great Plains. Is the one u have now a pull type & that’s why u need to trailer them separate or what’s reason for that? I like pull type better but harder to trailer. But with big enough trailer- think it’s doable

U won’t regret anything Great Plains. Is the one u have now a pull type & that’s why u need to trailer them separate or what’s reason for that? I like pull type better but harder to trailer. But with big enough trailer- think it’s doable
The one my friend lets me borrow is a 6' no-till pull type 606NT. The wheels make the unit wider than any trailer width I have available to use. With that said, I generally just hook it up to my truck directly to pull it down the highway.

Top Bottom