Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mountain Lion or Bobcat?

Saturday morning I had quit the experience in the stand. Within 10 minutes of sitting down it was just getting light and everything was silent when I heard what I presumed to be a large cat attacking something. I heard some crashing in the forest behind my stand and a definite cat snarl or growl. Does anyone know if bobcats make the same God-awful snarl that mountain lions make? I looked up mountain lion sounds on the internet and listened to a file of a mountain lion snarl and it was the exact sound I heard. It was definitely a sound I could do without while bowhunting.

Muddy, that was the ultimate comment, I'm howlin here. Made my day. Darn mean housecats in Iowa!
grin.gif

Hey, Crusher I see you are from Ames, where were you when you had the encounter?

Bobcat-

thanx, i just know where the guy is coming from, where i hunt the coyotes are the thing to "worry" about...my cousin has been followed out by a pack while 'coon hunting and the same happened for my dad while bowhunting. one night i had what sounded like several but in actuality was probably only a few howl all around my stand and follow me for awhile. that was the last night i used fox urine for cover scent. it was also a few days after i ventilated a 'yote with the bow, i was just afraid that they were coming for revenge and i JUST about camped it on the stand, instead i left a hour before dark.
smile.gif

stupidgaycoyotes.

I'm convinced there's a cat or two around Winterset. About a mile east in the town, dad caught sight of a cougar, and I'm starting to hear stories about hunting dogs not coming home...

i know this question came up last year, but i need some refreshing. if you see a mountain lion, can you shoot it? are there any laws saying you can't shoot them?

Someone told me you could shoot them up until January '03. From Jan on, they're protected.
Maybe Blind Sow can clear this up.

Top Bottom