Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mountain Lions In the News again......

If they are walking into your backyard and your neighbors yard in broad daylight they obviously have no fear of being near your home. I would call that a threat to the safety of your family. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot one if I saw it under those circumstances. It's not illegal to shoot one in Iowa. Just don't forget to post the pictures of it !
shocked.gif

Wow!! With all of these sightings, I can't believe I haven't tripped over one walking out of my front door in the morning. I've hunted in true mountain lion territory the last five years, and believe it or not, I have yet to see or hear a mountain lion anywhere I've been. As I understand it, human-lion encounters are rare, and when the encounters do take place, its do to a lack of prey in the area. I don't think Iowa falls into that category. I also think this post has "rumor-mill" written all over it, so lets make sure we know all of the facts before we ask the DNR for a new season for a species we're not even aquainted with yet. One more thing, all of you guys planning on eating cat meat this year remember this: Mountain lions, when cornered, or when shot at, especially with a bow, will proabably have a tendancy to be pi$$ed off. And don't forget, they can climb trees!!!!!
This is just my two cents worth folks, hope I didn't upset anyone with my first reply.

Well I am one of the "lucky ones" I guess to have ran into a big cat in the wild. I was on a late season rifle mulie hunt in Montana. After a three hour hike up a moutain I just bagged my first mulie a nice 5x5. I started out the day as a grunt in an attempt to push this buck and several other nice bucks towards their excape route, where my uncle was waiting to fill his tag. Anyway after filling my tag I continued on with the drive. My tag was filled so my Weatherby was empty and hanging on my shoulder. I walked about 500 yards and their it was, a big long tail. It was not more than 15 yards in front of me. Just as I instinctively grabed for my empty gun the big cat's head popped up. We looked at each other for what seemed like forever. I will never forget that look. A big mature cat starring me down with bright red blood dripping from his face. Finally the cat bounded off and I slowly put another shell in the chamber and continued on with the drive. What I soon relized was I happened to walk upon the site of a fresh mulie doe kill. So new infact the cat was just starting to remove the guts. I'm just lucky he decided to leave and not defend his kill. Needless to say my gun is always full of ammo now untill I'm back at the truck.
Just something for all you Harlen residents to think about this fall.......

Top Bottom