Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Muskie Questions...Need advice (THA4, T-250)

turtlshell

PMA Member
Hey guys, I've got a friend whose back in the States for a short spell (next month or so) before heading back to Iraq. He proposed a fishing trip to me and said he wants to go somewhere in the Mid-West to catch some Muskies. A damn good idea, I said.

Neither one of us have ever tried fishing for them before, but I have done the trolling thing and weed bed spinner thing for pike before...with moderate success.

First question, where do we plan on going. He was looking into WI, but it seemed to him that we would have to travel way north...we're kind of limited due to gas price. Would there be anywhere in Iowa worth a hoot? He's been thinking Okoboji. We're thinking we'll be limited to about the Twin City area from Des Moines, so pretty much most of the Southern quarter of Minnesota is fair game, and on into Southern WI if there is a good enough spot to sway us that way. Just looking for some leads.

Any and all advice is requested. I want to be able to try to catch one of these fish on this trip. Size isn't really an issue for us, we'd just like to both be able to have a good shot at landing a muskie. Thanks in advance for any ideas and tips.

I know fall and late spring are the best times for them, but any seasonal (summer) tactics or ideas would help. Just so we know how to prepare in such short notice.

Because we had this late spring, the fishing is just heating up in the north land. i have not musky fished in WI before, but have on several lakes in MN.

if Iowa is your top choice, id go to Okoboji/Spirit, they are going pretty good up there right now. Trolling is a great way to catch fish, it allows you to cover water quickly and passes time during the hot spells of the day. but casting big bucktails, with the double # 10 blades or burning smaller bucktails over weedbeds is a great bet. small twitch baits like 6 inch Grandmas and Jakes, Suicks, phantoms etc.... the list goes on, but i think the best route to take is key in on structural elements like rock and weeds, especially on Okoboji.

the down side, is Iowa waters really heat up in the summer and catching fish when the water temps are above 80 degrees id recommend avioding it for two reasons, 1. the fish get really stressed after being caught because of the intense heat of an Iowa Summer day, and 2. the fish dont bite as well when the water is that warm. so consider going north.

Mille Lacs is about 7 hours north, Vermillion and Leech are a touch further, but VERY credible Musky Waters. so id recommend going north as the fish are easier to catch (tongue in cheek)

but if you want to stay in Iowa, id say go to the IGL's.

if you have anymore questions feel free to fire away! ill do my best to help!!!!

I'd second the motion on Mille Lacs (MN). Some very good fishing there.

In southern WI, Madison has three lakes in town (Mendota, Monona and Wingra) and a buddy has fished Wingra with very good success. It's the smallest of the three and easier to break down.

All this info is second-hand (I musky-fish further north), but if you want me to get details on any of it, I know the guys to ask, just let me know! Good luck!

Okoboji is about 30 minutes from here and we fish it alot. I know there is a group of die hard musky fisherman there, but I'm not one of them. I don't think either Okoboji or Spirit are known as the greatest muskie lakes, although I know some are caught there each summer. We typically pick up one or two small muskies trolling for walleyes on Spirit. The walleye bite is just getting going on Spirit, so that's a great option for the next few weeks. Usually the heat of the summer brings a fantastic panfish bite for some true slabs on West. Trouble is, the heat of the summer also brings a parade of pleasure boaters, jet skiers, etc. on Okoboji as well, so we often fish West early and head to Spirit for the mid day bite.

If you want to chase tiger muskies (hybrid musky/pike) there are a number of lakes in the twin cities. I've never fished them but they were breed to by more agresive and "easier" to catch i believe. Check out http://www.dnr.state.mn.us for info on what waters they are stocked in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lots of good Metro Lakes around the TC's!</div></div>

How could I forget that? Yes, and some have tigers!

Thanks for the advice guys...that should give us enough information to figure things out on such short notice and form a plan for a lake that fits our schedules. I think next year we may look into hitting Leech, but it's too far to travel for us this year.

Leech would b the choice... The fish are starting to get pretty aggressive up there at the moment... Top water baits have been really hot and that means it ON! I have been on many trips the last month so i have been M.I.A. for a while on the site but i can tell ya that the Northern upper areas on get'n hot. I am actually going back up not to long from now to chase some more so if ya need some hot spots P.M. me.......Ryan..... also working on transfering our underwater footage from diving, so stay tuned.

Top Bottom